Mbm's Reviews > Long Time Coming

Long Time Coming by Robert Goddard

U 50x66
Jan 18, 11

I've read a few of Goddard's novels but none of the earlier ones more cherished by his devotees.The majority of them have been readable and entertaining,although one or two have been awful.This I found to be pleasantly diverting at least.

Goddard is very good at whisking his reader around the map book.You're shuttled around provincial Britain,continental Europe and even further afield in his work at regular intervals.At times this lends a paradoxical cosiness to proceedings,at others an annoying sensation of being force fed plane timetables at the expense of plot.This piece managed a happy medium.We start off in England,spend a few fraught days in Belgium and time travel to wartime Dublin.This allows Goddard to show off his knowledge of continental police procedure,post 1916 Irish politics and bed and breakfast culture in coastal towns.In between,we touch on the art and diamond markets.

The plot in this case is at least semi-plausible although the characterisation is pretty minimal and the love interest cursorily dealt with.There are twists and turns in the plot developed with recourse to flashback generally but also with the introduction of an unheralded protagonist,which I always find a little naughty.All in all,however things move along to a satisfactory conclusion.

I sound more dismissive than I mean to be.This novel doesn't set out to be anything other than a page turner.Mr Goddard has already written his next and,with any luck,it will be as painlessly readable as this.I read it as break from the genuinely annoying "Finkler Question" and enjoyed it far more.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Time Coming.