Amy's Reviews > The Tudor Secret

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: 16th-century, arcs, elizabeth-i, england, historical-mystery, read-in-2011
Read from January 21 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

I am a huge fan of C.W. Gortner’s The Confessions of Catherine de Medici and The Last Queen and so when the opportunity to review The Tudor Secret came my way, I quickly seized it! And I was not disappointed!

As a newborn babe Brendan Prescott was abandoned on the grounds of the powerful Dudley family. Taken in and raised at Dudley Castle, Brendan is tormented daily by the Dudley brothers, in particular the handsome, yet arrogant Robert. As the book opens, we find Brendan riding towards the court of Edward VI, where John Dudley is Lord Protector, to begin his service as squire to his old adversary Robert. Not long after coming to court, Brendan is solicited by William Cecil to assist in uncovering a plot against the Princess Elizabeth, which they believe is lead by the ambitious Dudley family. While unearthing secrets at court, Brendan is hoping to find answers to his own mystery…the identity of his parents and the truth behind his birth.

The Tudor Secret was a quick, light read with an entertaining mystery within a mystery. Brendan is a very charming character, as are his sidekicks Kate, the feisty lady-in-waiting and young Peregrine, stable boy turned spy’s assistant, I just adored! Though it wasn’t as historically heavy as Gortner’s other two novels, The Tudor Secret is nonetheless an entertaining and fun read and I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series.

www.passagestothepast.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudor Secret.

01/25/2011 page 97
01/27/2011 page 275
82.0% "I am loving little Peregrine!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland Sounds awesome :)

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars