Bre's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Jan 18, 2011

bookshelves: my-holmes-obsession

I am so glad I bought this. I came THIIIIS close to leaving it with the huffy sigh of one who doesn't want to read anymore silly, cardboard box pastiches with cardboard cutout Holmes' vomiting up the basic principles and almost word for word deductions our dear Mr. Doyle set as the foundation. It gets so old, watching the same movie reel of the character, no evoultion, Watson, you ARE my Boswell, the game's afoot and tweny pages of unispired dialouge about a case that no one is even enthused about. Only Doyle can write old Holmes, so I wish people would stop trying to place him squarely in Baker Street and finding lost manuscripts in a tin at Watson's bank.
I loved Mary Russell, and I loved the bit of evolution we see in a retired Holmes, he has doubts, he's much more likable, he's himself, but there's new depths to him. Holmes lovers, buy this book! New peoples, buy this book! I think, although this is my first advenure in cranky bee keeping Holmes, I might like this equally well as the canon, though I see it as a seperate thing. A Holmes that Doyle dumped on the downs, and now we're free to explore his character, to see how his life unfolds in retirement, knowing that Doyle never gave us these things. I want to wander through the downs and find Holmes' cottages, to go on these new adventures. So, buy this book, don't doubt it, and don't try to see the old Holmes of London the whole time you're reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

04/30/2016 marked as: read