Sarah's Reviews > The Running Dream

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-goodness
Read in January, 2011

I seem to be starting the New Year off right, two great books in a row. Transitioning from Jennifer Donnelly's long chapters to Wendelin Van Draanen's short ones took me about 50 pages to get used to. It felt choppy in comparison but the narrative style of The Running Dream helps to capture the message of the book. The character's realization that her recovery is a battle. The only way to cope is to just go from day to day to day.

The Running Dream is an inspirational story of a runner who has lost her leg, and thus her ability to run. It's like a bird without wings. It focuses on the grief and self doubt of recovery and the daily struggle. Her characters react like any family would. The story is a believable journey and you can't help but cheer on the narrator.

I also have to add this story (1) gave me phantom limb pains, yes I felt like I was the one recovering from injury. Took about a 100 pages to tell my brain to stop being stupid. and (2) really made me want to run. At the end I felt empowered. And my knee still hurts, but I'm telling myself thats in my head. Or the fact I joined a gym and its kicking my out of shape ass. Great book, read it. I'm hosting the author tomorrow night. That's going to be awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Running Dream.