Jan's Reviews > What I Did For a Duke

Jan 18, 2011

bookshelves: romance, stars5, z-2011, historical-romance
Recommended to Jan by: Dear Author
Read from March 10 to 11, 2011

Lovely book. Genevieve is the youngest doughter of the Eversea's, a family prone to trouble and scandals. She's the serious one however, an art lover , and always keeping herself in check. She's been in love with her best friend Harry for years, and expects him to propose to her, but then he tells her he's going to propose to their mutual friend.

Her heart is broken, but she can't let it show. Unfortunately this happens right at the time that the Duke of Falconbridge picks her as his tool to take revenge on her brother Ian, who he caught in bed with his fiancée. He plans to seduce and ruin her, but when they meet, nothing really goes like planned.

Genevieve isn't one to be easily seduced, and she's far too busy with not falling apart. Also, because of the age difference, she doesn't really see him as a candidate anyway. So they just talk and cross minds and find themselves attracted to each other despite everything.

I really liked that the whole revenge idea was abandoned quite quickly, and that the moment Genevieve was on to him, he was honest about his initial intentions. He visited the Eversea's in order to seduce Genevieve for revenge, but he quickly ended up seducing her because of her, and because he liked her and was attracted to her.

Likewise, Genevieve might initially caved for his seduction as a rebound, but the moment she starts wandering around at night in search of him, you know that Harry had nothing to do with it anymore. She was way less honest with herself though, and I thought it took her way to long to realize who she actually loved.

(At the other hand, the whole story takes place in little more than a week, so because it's such a quick love, maybe I shouldn't really blame her for not fully realizing it until the end).

Alex's backstory was very moving, and I loved how their conversation about his first wife was of such importance in the end. What Alex does in the end, really makes him a great Hero with a capital H. Sometimes love is indeed about letting go.

In general I like my romances to span more time, but the quick nature of the story wasn't necessarily bad.

There was one thing that really bugged me, but it's something I've been noticing in other historical romances as well, especially in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton's Series. Why is it that in all these books featuring large, loving happy families, so many of the children end up feeling so lonely, not understood or slightly worthless? I'd expect people to grow up in families like that to have self-confidence, or if they are lacking that to feel loved by their family, and have someone to confide in.

Instead as a reader I get the feeling that these families are only happy and loving on the outside, and that it's more an act than reality. I doubt this is the intention of the respective authors though, so it baffles me a bit.

I mean, Genevieve was utterly miserable for half of the book, and for the second half she was having a steamy affair under the family roof, and yet, nobody once asked her if something was up, never mind if something was wrong. That's not a loving family, that's a collection of self-obsessed people.

I don't think I would have minded so much if I hadn't noticed it with the Bridgerton's either (seriously, Benedict should not think so lowly of himself, that was just so sad. Colin suffered from it a bit as well. And the younger daughters, they were all scarily lonely too).

Anyone noticed this too? Or elsewhere?

Besides that it was a lovely story however, with two great and endearing characters, who definitely deserve their happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Did For a Duke.

Quotes Jan Liked

Julie Anne Long
“A proper kiss, Miss Eversea, should turn you inside out. It should . . . touch places in you that you didn’t know existed, set them ablaze, until your entire being is hungry and wild...It should slice right down through you like a cutlass with a pleasure so devastating it’s very nearly pain … It should make you want to do things you’d never dreamed you’d want to do, and in that moment all of those things will make perfect sense. And it should herald, or at least promise, the most intense physical pleasure you’ve ever known, regardless of whether that promise is ever, ever fulfilled. It should, in fact . . . ” he paused for effect “ . . . haunt you for the rest of your life.”
Julie Anne Long, What I Did For a Duke

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh god I am so in love with this book I feel slightly ill from it.

Now. To your assertions.

(view spoiler)

Ahhhhhhh I love this book so much. I hate when that happens, it makes me melancholic and limp from the passion.

message 2: by Jan (last edited Jul 25, 2011 02:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I liked this book heaps as well :) Never figured it would be something you'd like, you've really been on a HR binge lately :)

(view spoiler)

Being limp because of a great book is the whole reason why I read. I love it when that happens.

Oh, and did you read the others? Or something else by this author?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm

(view spoiler)

HR!! Who knew there were such amazing writers writing in it? I wish someone had told me sooner, I am besotted with some of them already.

Have you read this: The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne? SWOON.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

and no, this was my first JAL, but there will be moooooore.

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Rereading. From the opening scene on, it gives me the happy shivers.