Morgan's Reviews > Lord of the Silver Bow

Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-series, adventure-and-spy-thrillers, historical-fiction
Read from January 18 to February 01, 2011

While it took me a little while to get into the book, only because I am often put off by difficult sounding names, I thought it was incredible. It was a great mix of epic battles, romance, and historical myth. The action was intense and descriptive, very easy to see in your mind's eye, or as a movie. The characters were more complex and well-written than I expected as well. The good showed shades of evil, and some who you thought were evil showed shades of mercy. I began liking certain characters or romantic pairings and ended up changing my opinion along the way. I was just really impressed with this book and got very attached to everyone. I'm glad that it's a trilogy but I'm afraid for the fates of the characters going forwards... I suppose that is the mark of good writing though! I am usually reticent to read alternate versions of stories that I feel I know well, if only because I have ideas of how the characters should be, from reading The Odyssey and Helen of Troy, and seeing the movie Troy. I am so glad that I did, and think this might be my favorite version. I had never read anything from the perspective of the Trojans and it was fascinating. It was nice to know some of the names and stories but have a fresh spin put on them. I loved the three lead characters so much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Silver Bow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lacey yay!

Lacey I am so thrilled you loved it! The story only gets better. It's just epic. :)

Morgan oh good! i should just listen to you all the time and join/read what you tell me to... i haven't been steered wrong yet! haha.

Lacey I cried a few times during this series. It's definitely a top fiver, ya know?