RE de Leon's Reviews > Naermyth

Naermyth by Karen Francisco

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: austranesian-cultures, filipiniana, filipino, mythology, mythopoeia, novels, philippine-mythopoeia, scifi-fantasy, future-dystopian
Recommended to RE by: Tina Matanguihan
Read from January 17 to 19, 2011

I originally gave this book only two stars, but decided the reader of this review, if used to the usual scale of ambition among Filipino novels, might misunderstand me.

You see, I'm convinced this book is a milestone for Philippine books, earning it a place in the history of Philippine storytelling. And when I give it 2 stars, I do so on a scale that has Orson Scott Card and Ursula leGuin at the 5-star mark. Karen Francisco's opus, while in many ways technically flawed, is good enough that to not place it on a scale with the greats would do it a disservice -- although on such a scale it might not score as highly as it otherwise might. Francisco's narrative has ambition, chutzpah, and with some editing, an appeal capable of crossing ethnic or national boundaries.

[Review in progress. Need sleep.]
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naermyth.

Tina Francisco's narrative has ambition, chutzpah, and with some editing, an appeal capable of crossing ethnic or national boundaries.

Haha I must agree. I was really nitpicking on this when I first reviewed it but I realized it would be unfair to do that because I've read other good stuff already. I forgive it for its shortcomings because it is new, and it has potential. :D

message 2: by Caz (new) - added it

Caz Edmunds I got the book on stand by. Excited to read it. ;)