Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > My Love Lies Bleeding

My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

This book... it did wonders for my soul in a really though time of exams and end-of-term evaluations XD I shouldn't have read it, I had to study, but it tempted me and since I had it in my hands I couldn't resist.

Soooo, I picked up this one with a truckful of scepticism. I've learned that nowadays young adult books of the vampire, were-something, fae and angel variety are not to be trusted. But the book was literally trust into my hands and recommended by an avidly-reading friend, so I gave it a go.

Let me start off by saying, this is not something that shows some amazing insight into human nature or how the universe ticks. Nope, it's just a book meant to relax, amuse and be enjoyed.

I liked how My Love Lies Bleeding is about vampires and royalty, but also big troubles and first love. There were sad moments, and moments I laughed out loud, moments that kept me on the edge of my seat, and moments that were soo sweet I didn't need chocolate. And that's saying something XD

Unlike with other teen books recently, I was actually happy to learn these are a series, and have already ordered the second book. I just love how every one of them is about one of the Drake siblings finding his (or her when we talk about Solange) mate.

And it was super that the first one was about both Nicholas and Solange - like a perfect, unexpected bonus.

So My love Lies Bleeding was a great beginning for me - light, sweet, it made me happy. Yep. I'm definetely happy with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Love Lies Bleeding.

Quotes Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) Liked

Alyxandra Harvey
“Why are you limping like that?' Nicholas demanded.
I'm swaggering,' I informed him.
You look like you're wearing a diaper.'
Charming. And I had a crush on this guy.
Wait. I had a crush on this guy?
Now what?' he asked. 'You're making weird faces.'
Nothing,' I said quickly. "Never mind.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“Embroidery?" I sucked at embroidery. Aunt Hyacinth had tried to teach me, but we'd both given it up as a lost cause.Lucy, strangely, had picked it up really quickly and embroidered a tapestry of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow for my last birthday.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“There was a family joke that Lucy's first words were, "Nicholas is bugging me!”

Alyxandra Harvey
“Don’t you read?” I asked Nicholas, disgusted. “If you leave me here now that you’ve got Solange all safe, they’ll grab me to get to her.”

Solange opened the back door and I leaped in. The car sped off . Shadows flitted beside us, menacing, hungry. I shivered. Then I smacked the back of Nicholas’s head.

“Idiot.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“Her lips pursed. My palms went damp. Her fangs were out, as pointed and delicate as little bone daggers. "That’s disappointing, Solange."

I was going to die because I couldn’t embroider roses on a pillow.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“Nice dress. Can you breathe in that thing?”
I smoothed the front of my dress. “It would be much more fun to wear if it wasn’t what I was going to be buried in.”
“You are not going to be buried.” He paused, lifted the clothes up suspiciously.
“Vampires don’t bury their victims,” he added distractedly.
“Hey, looking for comfort here.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“We have the same symptoms as tuberculosis, especially in the eyes of the Romantic Poets. Pale, tired, coughing up blood.”
“That’s romantic?”
I had to smile. “Romantic with a capital ‘R.’ You know, like Byron and Coleridge.”
He gave a mock shudder. “Please, stop. I barely passed English Lit.”
I snorted. “I didn’t have that option. One of my aunts took Byron as a lover.”
“Get out.”
“Seriously. It makes Lucy insanely jealous.”
“That girl is . . .”
“My best friend,” I filled in sternly.
“I was only going to say she’s unique.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“All right.” Lucy shouldered her way to my side and made a waving motion as if they were annoying flies. “Shoo!” She narrowed her eyes. “I said shoo.”
They dispersed, mostly startled into moving. Only Logan remained, leaning casually against the wall.
“Darling, I’m not some insect to be chased away.”
“Darling?” She snorted amiably. “You’re not ninety years old, either.”
He straightened. “I’m charming,” he informed her. “And women like endearments.”

Alyxandra Harvey
“I blinked, pushing myself up into a sitting position. I felt less like a truck had run over me and then backed up to make sure the job was done properly. Now it felt as if the truck had hit me only once.”

01/18/2011 page 10
4.0% "Thanks Bobz, for giving me this one on paperback :*"
01/19/2011 page 54
21.0% "I'd hooked! XD Finally a book that makes me excited, just reading. I missed that feeling..." 2 comments