Jennifer's Reviews > NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock by Po Bronson

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, popular-psychology, owned
Read from January 18 to 28, 2011

I've been quoting anecdotes and studies from the blog created by Bronson and Merryman to promote Nurtureshock for nearly a year. So when I saw the paperback sitting on one of the "featured" tables at my local Schuler's Bookstore, I figured it was about time I actually bought the book.

I was a little disappointed by how much of the material was already familiar. In particular, the chapter on race held very little information for anyone who had followed the blog. However, even if the entire book had been similarly over-exposed, I could have probably still been persuaded that the book was worth its purchase price simply to have all those studies and stories in one place, for reference and for foisting on others. Happily, though, once past this chapter (a scant quarter of the way through the book), I was regularly regaled with new theories and insights once again.

I ended up quite as enthusiastic about this book as I had been about the blog. I am now constantly telling stories from the chapter on the importance of sleep -- only somewhat less so from the chapter on language acquisition.

The book does have its flaws. It is a series of "hey, isn't this interesting?" wanderings, and seems to lack a central theory to pull it together, other than just "hey, this raising kids stuff isn't quite what we thought it was." I suppose that's why it made just as much sense in blog form. While the desire for such an over-arching theory occasionally chafes while reading, I found it forgivable, as the strength of all the new information was more than interesting enough to carry me along.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NurtureShock.