Linda's Reviews > The Hangman's Daughter

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: to-read, i-own-on-kindle
Read in April, 2011

This was a good book. One cannot complain at all about lack of description of the venue nor the main characters. The author makes them very real. As well as the gore, which really turned me off. Maybe I should have expected it given the title, but the detail, I felt was a bit over the top. At some point it started to drag for me, maybe because I had figured out the "whodunnit part." Funny thing is "The Hangman" is my favorite character in this novel. It was very interesting as far as being an historical novel based on the author's ancestors and I really appreciated the author's "A Kind of Postscript." For myself, that added a certain amount of appreciation for this book, and I would go to three and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hangman's Daughter.

message 1: by Nancy (NE) (last edited Apr 28, 2011 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (NE) So is the postscript worth reading BEFORE you read the book, or are their spoilers involved?? I'm not going to get to it for a while yet - I'm still bogged down at work - AND totally caught up in The Help - can't keep my nose out of it. Didn't intend to get so sucked in...

Leanne Nancy- The postscript will not spoil the book, only add to the passion and history behind the story. I am someone who, even when taking a break (meaning at work and not able to sit and read), was continuously caught up in the historical town and the people that are brought to life within the pages of this book.

message 3: by Nancy (NE) (last edited Dec 22, 2012 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (NE) Thanks Leanne. I have read the book since that post and enjoyed a historical mystery. I think I might eventually read the others in the series.