Candy's Reviews > Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist

Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox

Jan 27, 11

Read from January 18 to 22, 2011

When I was a teenager, I had the biggest crush on Marty McFly. He was cute, a little bit of a dork and he had a super rad car... and, ya know, he could travel through time. Hello! He was totally going to be my boyfriend.

I've always been a fan of Michael J Fox. He is amazingly talented and always seemed humble and a genuinely nice guy. You know how you see an interview with an actor and you immediately know they are a complete buttmunch? Yeah, no such buttmunchatitude came from MJF that I saw. I quickly went from school girl crush to honest admiration as an adult. Especially once he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. The way he holds himself in public and isn't afraid to talk about it, makes me have a huge amount of respect for him.

His warmth shows through with this memoir, he has an amazing large heart - not only for his family but for his beliefs and causes. Several times, I felt myself getting a little teary reading his words and those moments when he opened up completely about his feelings and thoughts. It really is a beautifully written memoir. Reading his words and thoughts kind of made me want to sit and talk to him over coffee about a few things as I wanted more information (I always do, right?)

Where he kind of lost me is the name dropping, there seemed to be an awful lot of celebrity names. Having said that, I realize he's a big star and has big star friends, but it just seemed a little gratuitous in places. Having said THAT... I didn't realize that his foundation has grown so big or does so much good. What an amazing thing this man has accomplished in his life. He's proud and he should be.

Ya know, though... my favorite part of this book is that he can laugh at himself. Yes, he talks about the bad, but he also makes the best of it. He talks about what it takes for him to get up in the morning. About how he can brush his teeth way better than any electric toothbrush. I love that he has that kind of attitude. It has to be "easy" to fall into feeling sorry for yourself, but he seems unwilling to do so. It really made me smile when he was able to take a negative and turn it around. It's okay to laugh, he tells us.

I recommend this for darn well near anyone. Very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always Looking Up.

01/18/2011
18.0% "Humble, humorous and phenomenal, enjoying this one!"