Natalie 's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Brian K. Vaughan

1969199
Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, urban-fantasy, vampires, own-comics-tpb
Read on January 15, 2011

In a Sentence:No Future for You takes an intriguing look at the character of Faith and her emerging role as an experienced Slayer in a world full of girls who are just coming into their powers.

My Thoughts

I've loved the character of Faith since she I first met her in Season 3 of Buffy. One of the things that intrigues me so much about Faith is that she serves as a foil to Buffy--an example of what could happen when those with power become intoxicated by it and choose to shirk their responsibilities. Though the end of the television series sees Faith returning to the side of the good guys, there was an almost tangible feeling of division between Faith and the rest of the Scooby gang. Faith's isolation continues in No Future for You as she is recruited by Giles to do the unthinkable--to kill another Slayer.

I loved seeing a deeper, more focused exploration of Faith's character. The one little complaint I have about No Future for You is that (in my opinion, of course) no written or two-dimensional graphic representation of Faith can be as phenomenal as Eliza Dusku's portrayal of the character onscreen. Don't get me wrong...No Future for You was a great read...it just made me wish that there was a film version of it the entire time that I was reading it! I feel like other major characters, like Xander, Willow, Giles, and even Buffy herself translated a little better from screen to page then Faith did, though you can definitely still notice her vivid character traits and qualities.

Still, No Future for You wonderfully illustrates Faith's struggle to find her place in a world that doesn't accept her. Faith is possibly one of the most tortured characters in film (and now, literary) history. Though Faith eventually fought through her temptation to succumb to darkness in the TV series, that temptation is obviously still present in her mind as she journeys to dispose of a rogue Slayer (Gigi) who is abusing her powers. Faith, who probably sees a lot of herself in Gigi, is torn about killing her and even tries to bring her back from the brink. The entirety of this graphic novel shows the depth of Faith's internal struggle over her past actions and her quest for redemption. I'd highly recommend this to any fans of the TV series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.