Fran's Reviews > Delirium

Jan 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, series-bad-but-reading, dystopia
Read from February 02 to 15, 2011

I enjoyed this book. Lauren Oliver's writing is incredible. But I still had some issues with it.

The first issue would be the premise. Normally when I read a book set in a different world, I just accept it the way it's described. But I simply couldn't buy into this one because it made no sense. Why would you ever decide to "cure" love? Why would it kill people? And why would all of the citizens be stupid enough to believe whatever idiotic story the government tells them?! I was rolling my eyes at the characters' naivety.

The plot itself was predictable. Especially the whole 'oh look her mom is still alive'-thing. In 90 % of all YA books dead people are still alive when the protagonist keeps mentioning them.

Why is it so easy for teens to sneak out to go to parties and on dates or even to fake being cured? The society in this book is supposed to make me feel shocked/scared/horrified but all it did is make me wonder how stupid those neighboorhood patrols (regulators or whatever they're called) and government employees really are.

Let's just say I liked the romantic aspects of the book and disliked the dystopian setting. It felt forced - like the author needed a reason why Lena and Alex couldn't be together and decided to outlaw love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

02/02/2011 page 68
15.0% "I'm interested to see where this story is going."
02/05/2011 page 197
45.0% "I was kind of hoping this would be less... BORING. I keep having to force myself to read on."
show 4 hidden updates…

Jennifer i actually don't think what the government is trying to cure is love. it's passion. when alex describes why his father was imprisoned, it's because he belived in something and stood up for it. so long as people have passion to fuel their free will, the powers-that-be will always be threatened. but the government is smart-- passing it off as "love". it's harder to condemn feeling passionate about something than it is something like the romeo&juliet "cautionary tale of love".

Fran Jennifer wrote: "i actually don't think what the government is trying to cure is love. it's passion. when alex describes why his father was imprisoned, it's because he belived in something and stood up for it. s..."

Interesting way of looking at it. I think you're right, they just want to avoid having someone threaten their power at all costs.

Rachel I agree with everything you wrote in your review! I just felt like the setting was to forced as well. I still want to read the sequels to see what happens.