Liza Gilbert's Reviews > Beauty Queens

2035961
Jan 17, 2011

bookshelves: bfya2012, young-adult
Read in March, 2011

I was not a fan of Going Bovine. It really didn't do anything for me. Beauty Queens, however, was a complete bull's eye.

Insanely brilliant in both concept and execution, Bray has created a farcical satire that, with military precision, identifies and then lampoons all the negative issues concerning the beauty industry, pagentry, and the societal expectations of women.

Each chapter contains at least one highly quotable moment (my favorite being the Scottish spy who would, instead of martinis, ask for "Haggis. Boiled, not fried." Bray's (very thinly) veiled cultural references to Justin Timberlake, Julia Roberts, and David Levithan were delightful.

As someone who suffered (SUFFERED!) through Lord of the Flies as mandatory reading in middle school, I have to say that Beauty Queens is the Lord of the Flies we should have read. We have centuries of literature about how men behave when left to their own devices in the wild. Finally we have a female version, and it kicks all of the male versions' asses.

I will be recommending this for ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

03/06/2011 page 380