Greg's Reviews > The Man With The Getaway Face

The Man With The Getaway Face by Richard Stark

Jan 17, 2011

bookshelves: crime-fiction
Read on January 17, 2011

I don't have much for this one.

The story was a lot stronger than for the first Parker novel. In a lot of ways this might be the best of the Parker novels I've read so far, as a coherent story it surpasses The Outfit, which I gave an extra star for being more over the top and appealing to imaginary bad-ass that I would probably want to be if I had no morals or inhibitions or whatever you want to call it.

This story involves Parker getting a plastic surgery to hide from the Mob, robbing and armored car and the set up for the big confrontation he has with the Mob in the next novel.

The formula to the Parker novels is pretty straight forward, and I don't know how they are going to keep reading, like if I'll get bored with them or whatnot as I read through the first 18 or so, but after reading the last two I'm thinking they are the literary equivalent of The Ramones, they are simple and straight forward and at least when Dee Dee is writing the songs and he isn't too whacked out on smack and his own delusions they are borderline fun genius. And really the beauty of the early Ramones songs isn't apparent though until you listen to the post-Dee Dee songs and you realize how Johnny and Joey can't write a decent song even using the basic structures from the early songs. And then you hear Ramones knock off bands you hear how eh they sound and you realize that there is something almost magical but simple that just works and how it seems like it should be easy to duplicate but apparently it isn't.

But next, The Mourner, and hopefully my Ramones analogy won't be too literal, because that would mean The Outfit was Rocket to Russia and it's all downhill from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With The Getaway Face.

11/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by karen (new)

karen does parker have a rap album?

Greg I think one of his later novels has him rapping and calling himself Fresh P.

brian   yeah, the ramones analogy is perfect.
although after the 8th one, the books do change.
and in my opinion - unlike the ramones's later stuff - the parker books get even better. i'll address this once i'm back in l.a. and have time to finish reviewing all these crazy parker novels.