Erin's Reviews > The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Jan 17, 2011

bookshelves: prospective-battle-of-the-books, 2016, childrens, historical-fiction, newbery
Read from May 06 to 14, 2016

** spoiler alert ** I loved this! Callie Vee is a character that I grew very fond of through the course of this book, set in 1899 in Texas. So interesting to read about life a century ago. The science theme was wonderful. I finished the book today wondering where Callie will go next, and a bit thankful that the author left that to our imagination. I see, however, that there is a sequel! Not sure I'll pick it up soon, though I am curious I am also nervous for her in her decision between motherhood/housewifery and science. Can she have it all? Does she even want it all? Great book.

Fits my 2016 reading challenge:
13. A book that has been on my Goodreads to-read list for more than 5 years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

04/16/2016 marked as: to-read
05/06/2016 marked as: currently-reading
05/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Marika (new) - added it

Marika Gillis I think I might recommend this book for Battle. I think it would be a good choice to replace Charlie's Raven and it has a strong female character. I'd love to know what you think of it (you know, when you're done with all the other books we're reading for Battle)!

Erin I've wanted to read this for awhile. Thank you for giving me a reason to do it soon! You should absolutely recommend it.

Erin Do you have a copy of it?

message 4: by Marika (new) - added it

Marika Gillis Yes, two actually. :)

message 5: by Shera (new)

Shera Would this be a good book to read to my kids?

Erin It is long and the language is intricate. I showed it to Bree and she said, "Let's wait until I'm in 5th grade." Your kids might love it!