TJ's Reviews > Extreme Exposure

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, own-or-have-a-copy, romantic-suspense
Read from January 14 to 18, 2012

3.5/5.0

Gosh, I love Pamela Clare, but I just can't make myself get 5 star excited over this particular book. I originally thought it would be because the characters were a senator (Reece, the hero) and a reporter (Kara, the heroine) neither of which are professions that would naturally get my suspense juices pumping. As it turns out, however, I really enjoyed the way Clare portrayed both the characters and their professions realistically yet sympathetically. I was able to see a side to both occupations that I could really admire.

I admired Kara's devotion to her son and her career. One is able to see and understand her love for each while experiencing her heart-rending struggle to balance both and always feeling like she is falling short. In Reece we are reminded of the human side of a much maligned profession. We see the honest, good reasons a person chooses to pursue public office and how hard it is to stay true to oneself while juggling for the better good. I came away enlightened in both aspects.

It was the topic of the suspense and how it played out that I had trouble buying into. Maybe because of all the attention books and movies such as Erin Brockovich has garnered over the past few years that the subject matter seemed somewhat old hat (*yawn*). The pace plugged along rather slowly and the final confrontation was a little (ok, a lot) unbelievable. Let's face it, researching environmental waste - while very important - just isn't horribly exciting or even particularly interesting to read about as a journalist researches and gradually uncovers waste and corruption. It's a long process.

The upside is, throughout this long process is we get to see the relationship between Reece and Kara develop into a deep and meaningful love. With Kara's past, that took time, also. We are allowed the opportunity to progress, along with Kara as she struggles to overcome her fear of relationships and we learn to love Reece as we participate in his commitment to be patient and show Kara the love she needs.

There! The good and the bad! If one is still debating, consider the abundance of steam (which Clare writes so well.) If you like it - this is a keeper. If you don't - you should probably try something else. :)

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extreme Exposure.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It's really good, TJ. I wasn't looking forward to it either, but I was pleasantly surprised.

message 2: by TJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

TJ I keep looking at it (top of the pile) and knowing how much I love P. Clare but that Senator for a leading man just turns me off. I have trouble imagining him as the hunky, honest, sincere type of hero I like. What is his character like and is he believable?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) He is very hunky, sincere and honest. I was impressed. Normally I am not fond of either politicians or reporters, but I really liked both main characters. I think you'll be happy. There are some steamy parts, but they are tasteful and skippable if you choose.

Laura (Kyahgirl) You should read it. He is not your typical stuffy, self important knob! I read this book quite a while ago (thus the lack of it on my bookshelf LOL) but I remember clearly liking it very much and it was the two main characters that made it (as well as a solid romantic suspense story of course).

message 5: by TJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

TJ Ok, ok, I'll suck it up and put my trust in you two (whose opinions I value very much btw!) Open the book and give a (ugh) senator and a (eh) reporter a try - next week :)

Thanks Danielle and Laura!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I hope you end up enjoying it, TJ. And that means a lot that you value my opinion. Same here!

Laura (Kyahgirl) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I hope you end up enjoying it, TJ. And that means a lot that you value my opinion. Same here!"

Ditto!
In fact, I think I'm going to go dig this book out of its box in the basement and read it again. Now you both have made me curious enough to check my perceptions out!

message 8: by TJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

TJ @ Laura, We'll do a buddy read!!

Laura (Kyahgirl) sounds fun :-)

Tammy Walton Grant That's kinda what I thought when I read it. :)

Laura (Kyahgirl) so....how's it going??? Still having a hard time getting enthused?

message 12: by TJ (last edited Jan 18, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

TJ I just finished it! I actually really enjoyed the romance. Clare did a great job of softening me up towards a senator for sure! *eye waggle* The part I ended up not really enjoying was the suspense/subject... Go figure! Still... 3.5 stars 'aint bad :)

Laura (Kyahgirl) Nope, 3.5 stars is pretty respectable :-)