Sandy's Reviews > The Land of Painted Caves

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from February 21 to March 30, 2011

Just won this on GoodReads First Reads and am looking forward to it arriving. I'm hoping it will be more like Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the Horses than like the following three in the series which I remember as having gotten repetitive. But I never could resist following what happens to Ayla!

Got through it! I have read very few Advanced Reading Editions of books and I can only hope that some hardcore editing is/was done before the book is released. The repetition is inexcusable and drags the story down. It's like she wrote many little segments each as a standalone and then just stuck them together. I kept waiting for something to really "happen-" for some story to develop. The last fourth of the book gets a little more interesting, but it was "too little too late" for my taste. Overall, an unsatisfying conclusion to a series that began with such promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land of Painted Caves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iva (new)

Iva Did you receive your First Reads copy yet?I also won it at the end of January and I wonder when it would arrive.Excited about it!

Sandy No, I haven't received it yet but the email I got on Jan. 31 said it would arrive in a few weeks so I'm not expecting it too soon. Can't wait!

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn It's been so many years since I read her works I'm wondering if I need to go back and read them all again before I read this one.

Sandy I thought that at first too. But then I just read the GoodReads summary of the first 5. And she does so much "reviewing" in this new one (part of the repetition) that I think it's going fine without all the re-reading.

Natasha  A. Just an FYI - No editing was done after the ARE was sent out... At least none that I could tell. Although I am only on page 200.... Did you know that Ayla has an accent? *shudder*

Sandy Natasha - Sorry to hear that there wasn't noticeable editing before the final release. I read an LA Times review in Sunday's paper that was not too kind about the repetition.