Debby's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: 5-star-books
Read from April 17 to 22, 2011

WOW! This is one fast paced, intensely suspenseful, hot button pushing book! I was hooked from the first page to the last.
The Confession is about a 18-year- old black man falsely accused and convicted of the rape and murder of a young white female high school classmate in the small town of Sloan Texas. Dante was sentenced to death row in Texas. Texas in #1 in the country for inmates spending the least amount of time between being sent to death row and their day of execution and many in the state are proud of that fact.
Shortly after Dante's date of execution is set, a "strange" man named Travis shows up Monday morning at a Lutheran pastor's office in Topeka Kansas and confesses that he raped and murdered Nicole, he knows where the body is AND that he is dying of a stae 4 brain tumor. He wants to confess to the crime so an innocent man will not pay the price for what he did. The hitch....it's Monday and Dante's execution is scheduled for Thursday at 6 PM. They are in Kansas and the execution takes place in Texas.
So many details and circumstances are hindering the truth from finally coming out or getting anyone to listen, to believe and to take action with. Is Travis telling the truth or is he just another attention-seeking flake? Will it finally happen that an innocent man is put to death when there is viable proof of his innocence? The clock is ticking!!
No matter where you stand on the issue of capital punishment, The Confession is a well-researched, profoundly thought provoking read, wrapped up in a fast-paced, razor-sharp, tensely suspenseful book.
I highly recommend reading The Confession and I am hoping someone is making it into a movie with Tommy Lee Jones as Dante's defense attorney, Robbie Flack!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.

message 1: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Nice review, Debby. I haven't read Grisham for years, but everyone seems to like this book very much. One of these days I'll read it!

Debby Thanks Barbara. I've kept up with his books and really enjoyed most of them. In my opinion, The Confession is especially good!

message 3: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I have added it! I wonder if I'll read most of the books on my Huge List !

Debby I have found that my "lust" to read far exceeds my ability to find the book in an audio format, my reading preferences and my time to read. Most often I'm putting books on my TBR that, in reality, I may or not ever read. It's like collecting book titles without the books! :)
I keep my TBR to a certain limit and if it's getting too close to that set limit, then I shed a few (or quite a few) book titles! Kind of how I used to do with my weight! :)

message 5: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I see that we have the same philosophy! Every time I pare down my list, I seem to add to it again quite rapidly.

As for time to read, some days it's rather scarce, as you have probably noticed.

Debby That's the one nice thing about audio books. I began utilizing them in 1985, so it's second nature for me to have an audio book going while I'm doing other things like cleaning, doing dishes, folding laundry or (rarely) ironing (that's one thing I don't do as much as I used to thankfully!).
I do remember when I used to be able to read and I'd be in the midst of a great book, but be too busy as a young mom and working part-time as a RN to be able to get much reading time except at night before bed.

message 7: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I had the same situation as a young RN- of course!

My audio time is usually used for listening to classical music or NPR. I have my radiuo on all the rime.

Ruby Here, here to Tommy Lee Jones! But what about him doing the Lutheran Minister. That would be really interesting too. Since he usually plays such "in-charge" characters, it'd be fascinating to see him playing a man desperately trying to do the right thing, but uncertain what that is and how to do it!