The Flooze's Reviews > Criss Cross

Criss Cross by Jordan Castillo Price

Jan 17, 2011

bookshelves: gay-fiction_mm, urban-fantasy-paranormal, owned, vanquished_2011, vanquished_2013
Read on June 22, 2013 , read count: 1

Criss Cross, the second installment in the PsyCop series, is just as good as the first. Vic’s self-deprecating, dry humor makes him a likable character, and his struggle with his abilities ups his realism. Jacob Marks is the perfect blend of tough-guy intimidation and caring patience; I’d love to have a Marks of my own. (Ohhhh boy, can these two steam up a shower!) The side characters add interesting layers to the story - especially a newly introduced metaphysical healer who is intriguing as all get-out. I particularly like Vic’s relationship with Maurice, his now-retired partner. Price does a good job of portraying the bond they share after working together so long, and his inclusion shows us the kind of loyalty Vic inspires in others.

There are one or two obvious clues in the development of the mystery, but Price makes sure to throw in some surprise developments to keep things fresh. The pace is quick, maintaining momentum from beginning to end, and making me wish these books were longer. This is one series I’m definitely sticking with.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criss Cross.

04/06/2011
6.0% "Now that's a blowjob." 10 comments
06/22/2013 marked as: re-reading
06/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/22/2013
1.0% "Re-read before I dive into GhostTV."
1.0% "I miss Maurice."
06/22/2013
5.0% "I looked down at the hook. Maurice had squished a worm onto it. A worm spirit didn’t appear and immediately start telling me about the moment of its death, so I presumed I was safe from the spirits of bugs."
06/22/2013
14.0% "Wow, the difference. Vic was so much more painfully awkward in this one."
06/22/2013 marked as: read

Laura Lulu I'm starting this tonight. And now I'm even more excited about it. Lol.

The Flooze Lol!

I've been so freakin' busy every night that I haven't had the chance to finish this OR the Joe Hill book. An active social life has its downside!

Laura Lulu That it does. I started it & finished it that night. I was bad and stayed up too late.

The Flooze I liked Marks' reaction to being introduced as his partner. Cute. Maybe I'll get to finish it tonight.

Laura Lulu So does Vic just spaz about work finding out because he likes to spaz? Cause Jacob doesn't seem too concerned that Vic introduced him to his partner that way.

One of my status updates: "God, could there be a worse word than “boyfriend?” It made us sound like Barbie and Ken. Or Ken and Ken. Or Ken and G.I. Joe." Lol.

The Flooze I loved that line!

I think Vic is just spastic in general. Maybe he doesn't like anything that brings attention to him, since he's always been different anyway, what with the seeing of dead people?

Laura Lulu I'm probably going to finish with my challenge books early this month, I'm reading the 2nd Scarabaeus right now, then I only have Enclave & Perfect Chemistry left to read. So I'm thinking I'll read the 3 Crash shorts. Curious about that crazy mofo.

The Flooze Go to a Neil Gaiman interview tonight...or go home and catch up on reading and sleep?

Last night, ONE beer turned into a FEW beers, plus large platters of food in a bumpin' beer house. I am so sleepwalking today!

I'm jealous that you're going to finish early! How is the 2nd Sacre Bleu going?