Lucia's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

Apr 10, 11

Read from March 16 to April 10, 2011

Read the review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

Cassel Sharpe is the only non-worker in a family of notorious curse workers. Curse workers, once the most powerful, are now one of the lowest classes and must work for crime families to survive. Trying to remain "normal" by going to boarding school, things start turning strange when Cassel begins to sleepwalk and have confusing dreams. His brothers seem to be keeping something from him, and Cassel can't get over the guilt of having murdered his best friend three years ago.

This book? Dark. Sexy. Thrilling. I just couldn't stop reading it. It started off slow, but when I got into it, it was near impossible to pull me back out. I swear Holly Black is a con artist, too. White Cat is one of those books that are written in a twisted way when not everything is explained or even told about. Eventually all is revealed to you (kind of), but until then, it seems that there is nothing but impending doom for all the good guys.

Cassel Sharpe is a pretty cool guy. I really don't know how to describe him, so that's all I got. But he's pretty much those three words that I used to describe this book. The book is him. During most of the book, we know just as much about what's going on as he does. Which is close to none. That's what I loved about this book. It's just mystery layered upon mystery, and you're on the edge of your seat, gripping the armrests (Figuratively. How else would you hold the book?), holding your breath and turning to next page to read what happens next. Cassel has the perfect (sarcasm) family. His brothers, Barron and Philip, scare me. They seem like the perfect backstabbing brothers. Of course, they're way much more than they seem. Very complex and confusing indeed. And he's also got the typical grandfather who can kill anyone with a touch of the hand. Plus his mother's in jail. Oh, yes. If his life wasn't so messed up, he would probably be a really great, normal guy.

The world that Black created was very original and fascinating. I loved the idea of curse work, and all the con artist/mafia type stuff. The problem was, in the first part I didn't really get what was going on and was very confused. So was Cassel, so I guess that's a good thing. After getting into it, it's impossible to escape the depths of the curse work world, just like any curse worker (Better to never find out. Then you're not screwed.) .

This book is filled with evil plans, sinister villains, sacrifices, betrayals, and a bit of humor and romance. Great writing, unique plot, original characters, and just wonderful overall! I loved it, and I can't wait to go and pick up Red Glove!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

Quotes Lucia Liked

Holly Black
“The easiest lies to tell are the ones you want to be true.”

Holly Black
“Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty.”

Holly Black
“Once someone's hurt you, it's harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love. But it doesn't stop you from wanting them.”

Holly Black
“We are, largely, who we remember ourselves to be. That's why habits are so hard to break. If we know ourselves to be liars, we expect not to tell the truth. If we think of ourselves as honest, we try harder.”

Holly Black
“She says that what you did was a cry for help."

"It was," I say. "That's why I was yelling 'Heeeelp!' I don't really go in for subtlety.”

Holly Black
“He's the kind of liar who totally forgets what he told you the last time, but he believes every single lie with such conviction that sometimes he can convince you of it.”

Holly Black
“I can't trust the people I care about not to hurt me. And I'm not sure I can trust myself not to hurt them, either.”

Holly Black
“You have a real talent for getting your ass kicked.”

Holly Black
“And if I wanted to kill myself, I wouldn't throw myself off a roof. And if I was going to throw myself off a roof, I would put on some pants before I did it.”

Holly Black
“We have about three hours of homework a night, and our evening study period is only two hours, so if you want to spend the break at half-past-nine not freaking out, you have to cram. I'm not sure that the picture of the wide-eyed zombie girl biting out the brains of senior douchebag James Page is part of Sam's homework, bit if it is, his physics teacher is awesome.”

Holly Black
“Flattery will get you everywhere," Sam says, "Except, apparently, off a roof.”

Holly Black
“I have no memory of climbing the stairs up to the roof. I don't even know how to get where I am, which is a problem since I'm going to have to get down, ideally in a way that doesn't involve dying.”

Holly Black
“Someone could cut through the mess in our house and look at it like one might look at rings on a tree or layers of sediment. They'd find the black-and-white hairs of a dog we had when I was six, the acid-washed jeans my mother once wore, the seven blood-soaked pillowcases from the time I skinned my knee. All our family secrets rest in endless piles.”

Holly Black
“To remind me, pain is the best teacher”

Holly Black
“It feels like the whole world has turned upside down. There aren't any more rules.

Hey,' I say to Sam, because if the world's gone crazy, then I guess I can do whatever I want. "Guess what? I'm a worker.”

Holly Black
“Carney is like a graveyard where everyone already owns their plots and has built houses on top of them.”

Holly Black
“I drive him to school, then I break back into Barron's house. I'm the best kind of thief, the kind that leaves behind items equal in value to those he's stolen.

Then I go home and shave until my skin is as slick as any slickster's.”

Holly Black
“Yesterday when we went over the plan again and again, I never thought about Grandad showing up. Because I'm an idiot, basically--an idiot with poor planning skills. Of course he's here. Where else would he be?

Seriously, what else could go wrong?”

Holly Black
“Greg stands up, wiping his mouth. "I saw your mother's trial in the paper, Sharpe. I know you're just like her."

"If I was, I would make you beg to blow me," I sneer.”

Holly Black
“My head is pounding. I wish the mints were aspirin.”

Holly Black
“I heard you've been having some problems with your girlfriend." Headmistress Northcutt says.

"No," I say. "Not at all." Audrey broke up with me after the winter holiday, exhausted by my moodiness. It's impossible to have problems with a girlfriend who's no longer mine.”

Holly Black
“Okay. how about that time when you smoked all that weed that you thought was laced with something? You fell into the tub, but you refused to get out because you were convinced that the back of your head was going to fall off?

"That third story happened to a guy named Jace in my dorm. Me and Sam and another guy in our hall took turns reading "Paradise Lost" through the locked door. I think it made him more paranoid, though."
"That's not true," he says.
"Well, he *seemed* more paranoid to me," I say. "And he still gets a little weired out when any one mentions angels.”

Holly Black
“Downstairs, Grandad's warning Barron about something. His voice swells, and I catch the words, "In my day we were feared. Now we're just afraid.”

Holly Black
“On the way out to the car, Philip turns to me.
“How could you be so stupid?
I shrug, stung in spite of myself.
“I thought I grew out of it.”
Philip pulls out his key fob and presses the remote to unlock his Mercedes. I slide into the passenger side, brushing coffee cups off the seat and onto the floor mat, where crumpled printouts from MapQuest soak up any spilled liquid.
“I hope you mean sleepwalking,” Philip says, “since you obviously didn’t grow out of stupid.”

Holly Black
“Don't be drinking the Haterade.”
tags: humor

Holly Black
“I need to talk to you. I had a weird dream."
"Let me guess. You got tied up by lady ninjas. With big hooters."
"Uh, no." I take a sip of coffee and wince. It was ridiculously strong.
My grandfather shoves a strip of bacon in his mouth with a grin. "Guess it would have been kind of weird if we'd had the same dream."
I roll my eyes. "Well, you'd better not tell me anything else. Don't ruin the surprise in case I have it tonight.”

Holly Black
“Marks forget that whenever something's too good to be true, that's because it's a con.”

Holly Black
“You better get over here with my car,” Grandad says. “Before I call the cops and tell them you stole it.”
“Sorry,” I say contritely. Then the rest of what he said sinks in and I laugh.
“Wait, did you just threaten me with calling the police? Because that I’d like to
see.”

Holly Black
“You in trouble?” Sam asks. The way he says it, I wonder if he’s thinking about how to get out of here if I am.”

Holly Black
“It’s sweet. All this trouble for a kitty.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Librarysteph I LOVE that book.

Lucia I'm only on chapter 1... haha. Hopefully I'll get more read after I write four reviews!

Tiffany I just finished this one, and LOVED IT! started RED GLOVE today ;)

Lucia I need to get Red Glove! But I just ordered some stuff from CoFA. Mom won't be happy...

Tiffany I won CoFA on Facebook :) so excited to get it.... and JACE'S LETTER! if I'd bought it, hubby probably wouldn't have been happy either ;) lol.

Lucia Hahaha! I didn't get the edition with Jace's Letter. :(

Tiffany I did ;) super excited about it..... it's online if you do a google search ;)

Lucia Yeah I know... pretty sure that's illegal. Shhhh.

Tiffany I know ;) but hey...... not everyone can get a copy from B&N!

Lucia Yep! Heehee. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Tiffany oh, I am about 50-60 pages into Red Glove, SOOOO GOOD!

Lucia Don't tell me what happens!

Tiffany uh, I hadn't planned on it.

Lucia Just making sure you weren't one of those trolls that love to ruin books for people before they even start! (*cough* I'm not one at all...)

Tiffany I'm not... at all.... makes me mad when people ruin books or movies for me! eeekkk!

Lucia I only do it to annoy my friends haha. Don't worry! I won't do it to you!