Kylie's Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

F 50x66
Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: disturbing-content, paranormal-romance, rated-r, regret-reading
Read in January, 2011

Comparing this novel to other is the genre such as Daughter of the Forest or Kushiel's Dart would certainly leave the reader under-whelmed. Therefore, I've decided to objectively review it without comparison. So what is my professional opinion? Well, I would classify this novel as 'disturbingly entertaining, emotionally deficit garbage'. First off...Saeton SaDiablo, Daemon, Lucivar?? Are you fucking kidding me? There is this fascinating word in the dictionary called 'trite' which is quite fitting. I would imagine that when Anne Bishop sat down as said "Ooooh dark fantasy" that thought was closely followed by "Ooooh I bet Satan would be a cool character" and "Oh wow what if he had really hot, devilish sons too!"
But I digress--back to my real problems with the novel. Sure, this novel mostly kept my attention. It was morbidly enthralling. But wouldn't any novel that include multiple castrations, incest, rape, cannibalism....oh and the big kicker....magic?! Yes, yes they would. No matter how terrible the writing or the character development they would keep a reader's attention. And that is precisely what Mrs. Bishop demonstrated for us. Trust me, I understand the subtle importance of accessory characters. But why in High Lord of Hell's name did each one get their own chapter? The novel was cluttered, disjointed, and pathetically written; but Hallelujah! it was entertaining. I feel as though this novel had mountains of potential, but a critical aspect of novel (specifically the connecting to the readers on a real, emotional level) wasn't present. At one point Saeton's ex-wife actually referred to her scheme as an "evil little plan"...i mean, come on! Also, I found it highly unfitting that Daemon was able to seduce Jaenelle after she had just been horrifically raped. And what the fuck was Daemon kissing on his brother for at the beginning of the novel? Was there a purpose behind that that I missed?
Bottom line, if you are looking for an escape from reality for a while and can set aside scrutinizing annoyingly cliché, shock factor writing to see the half-assed plot within, then this novel might just be for you! :)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.