Deana's Reviews > The Search

The Search by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: review-done
Read from January 17 to 18, 2011

I haven't read an Amish book for many years, mainly because I'd let life get in the way of my reading obsession for a bit, so when I had the opportunity to try out an author that's new to me, Suzanne Woods Fisher, I jumped on it. My own protestant beliefs parallel the Amish beliefs of family, order, and living a life for God in everything we do, so I enjoy learning more about their lives and beliefs. Thanks for the copy Revell Publishing but this opinion is my own.

This is really a 2-in-1 story about two young ladies from seemingly different worlds but they share a connection. I liked to see the characters themselves, and those around them, grow spiritually as they discover the secrets and connection that each have. Bess is a young teen, while Lainey is in her early 20's. This book is perfect for a young teen (or even a tween if reading is her obsession). The Search will help broaden a teen's perspective on family dynamics, forgiveness and healing, especially if the discussion questions in the back are used.

I especially liked Bertha Riehl or Bess' Mammi. I come from a Germanic heritage also and what is seen by so many to be a crusty, conniving old lady is actually the wise, loving gem in the bunch--kind of like a hearty loaf of bread with a heavy crust. is a trailer for the book.
Available January 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search.