Amanda J's Reviews > The False Friend

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: popular-fiction, online-bookclub-read, family-drama
Recommended to Amanda J by: BB Bookclub Members Choice Jan2011
Read from January 20 to 25, 2011

This book failed on so many levels. The characters were one-dimentional and dull. I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to care about any of them. It seemed as if Goldberg tried to add something slightly unexpected to each of them (Celia - econonmist/poet, Huck -teacher/druggie, Becky - best friend/Hasidic Jew etc.), but unfortunately it only made them feel more contrived.

Adding to the artificial feel of the prose was the author's clunky way of switiching between past and present. I may have been forced to re-read sections to figure out when it was, had I cared enough.

In addition, much of the dialog and descriptions felt meaningless:
"I slept fine, Mom. See you soon, all right?"
"There might be one hard-boiled egg," Noreen said. "Check the cold cut drawer on the left-hand side."Celia did not want an egg. After hanging up she opened the drawer. There was the egg, the very last one.
Even had Celia not spend four years remanded to her mother's place of employement, Jensenville High would have been easy to find."

What?! What was all the egg-jibberish? Too bad these "egg-moments" happen throughout the text.

I kept waiting for some twist - a la Jodi Picoult- but nothing happened. You really didn't know any more when you finished the book than you did in chapter 3.

I am not sure if Goldberg was trying too hard or if she didn't try hard enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.

01/21/2011 page 30
10.0% "I really struggled with the first chapter of this book. In fact, if I hadn't known others who said it would get better, I probably would have put it down rather than kept going."
01/24/2011 page 53
18.0% "Can't get into this"
show 1 hidden update…