Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Notorious Pleasures

Notorious Pleasures by Elizabeth Hoyt

Jan 17, 2011

bookshelves: favorite-2011, historical
Read from January 19 to 20, 2011

Favorite Quote: “Do you like it?” he asked grasping himself.

The first time Lady Hero Battan sets her eyes upon Griffin Remmington, Lord Reading, she is utterly shocked. She doesn’t see his face, only his backside as he enjoys the offerings of the married woman underneath of him. Hero is horrified, but also knows the lady’s husband has arrived at the ball, and it would be best for Griffin to cover that backside up. After throwing her diamond earring at his rear, hence getting his attention, Griffin hastily removes himself from the lady, and is grateful to have dodged a duel.

Hero is at this ball to announce her engagement to Thomas, the Marquess of Mandeville. Ironically, Griffin is Thomas’s brother and Hero realizes she is not going to be able to forget Griffin and this embarrassing incident. Thomas and Griffin share a sordid past, and have a very icy relationship. Griffin is a charmer, very witty and flirtatious. He immediately gives Hero the nickname “Lady Perfect”, for her severe judgment she casts upon him and her very virtuous nature. Likewise, Hero calls Griffin “Lord Shameless”, for reveling in the fact he is a rake and a debaucher.

Hero immediately recognizes chemistry with Griffin, even though she doesn’t want to. They share the same love of books, and find conversation very easy. She knows she has to marry Thomas, because it is a good match for her family. But if Griffin has anything to do about it, Hero is his. He just needs to convince her not to marry his brother.

Griffin is not all smiles and fluff. He has saved his family from despair by distilling gin, although illegal in London. Competition in the streets of London is fierce and violent and Hero soon finds herself in the middle.

Notorious Pleasures is the second book in Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series but it can definitely be read as a stand alone. This one has a much lighter tone than the first book, Wicked Intentions (which I also adored). Griffin is a wonderfully warm hero. He is charming, funny, and definitely a rake. He likes women, but once he sets his eyes on Hero, she is the only woman for him. It drives him nuts that she is engaged to his brother, who he does not get along with. He slowly lowers Hero’s defenses and soon has her start to question if she is with the right man. Griffin knows Thomas is cold, their engagement is no love affair.

Hero has been raised to marry well. So she shocks herself, when she finds herself in these precarious positions with Griffin. He lights her fire, and she likes it. She accepts her feelings for Griffin:

She touched her mouth with shaking fingers. She’d committed an act of horrible betrayal. She knew that. She was aware of the ramifications and of regret. The possibility of far greater sin and guilty of the fact that her very soul was in peril.

And she did not care.

But she also knows it would be disastrous to her family, if she breaks her engagement. So she carries onward with Thomas. She also frowns upon Griffin and his gin distillery, knows that gin has causes many orphaned children. She helps fund an orphanage that is filled with children who lost their parents to drinking and doesn’t know if she can looks past Griffin’s involvement in this illegal business.

The romance in this book is so sensual and hot. I’ve said this before – Elizabeth Hoyt writes wonderful romance scenes. They can be so intense and intimate.

He was ragingly hard for her.
”Come here,” he whispered.
”Griffin.”
He half closed his eyes at her murmur. “You say my name like a lover, so soft, so sweet. I want to lick the word from your lips, sip the exhaled breath from your mouth. I want to possess you utterly. Right now. Right here.”

She darted then, a hart flushed from cover, and tried to leap around him. He caught her by her waist and flung her up against the closed door.

Then he bent his head and looked her in her brilliant diamond-gray eyes. “What will it be, madam?”

And hello – she gives us carriage smex. Is there anything better? I also love that many times I caught myself smiling and giggling at some of the funny conversations or facial expressions involving Griffin.

We also get more from Silence Hollingsbrook, the woman who runs the orphanage. Most of her side story is setting up her book, which comes out next. But once you see whom she will be paired with, it will make you very curious to see how that relationship will pan out.

Notorious Pleasures is a lovely, romantic book. I highly recommend it.

Rating: B+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notorious Pleasures.

01/19/2011 page 93
22.0% "Very cute so far! Lady Perfect and Lord Shameless...lol."
12/05/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

ALPHAreader It seems like so long ago I read and loved 'Wicked Intentions'. I almost completely forgot she was writing a *series*. Thanks for reminding me :)

Mandi Schreiner So excited for this one!!!

message 7: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Sounds great!! I heard that silence + Mickey was happening just before this book came out... And I want to read that one SO BAD... I find myself waiting to read this one so I dont have as long of a wait. :)

message 6: by Ing (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ing I love that quote..since I can totally picture what Griffin is about to do when he says that! Fanning self here!

mad4rombks I haven't read this one yet but the quote...wasn't there one almost like this in Reynard's story? Did you read that series?

Mandi Schreiner I think I read the first book in that series...but not the others

mad4rombks I'm almost positive there was but the book isn't nearby for me to check.

Roshio lol! I actually gasped when I read the first line of your review.

Mandi Schreiner It's a very naughty quote:)