Jenn's Reviews > Vanished: When Lightning Strikes & Code Name Cassandra

Vanished by Meg Cabot

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-j-fiction
Read in January, 2011

My Review from Kitabu (http://apps.monroe.lib.mi.us/bookclub...)

I’ve been kind of in a reading funk lately. Nothing has really appealed to me. So, what do I reach for when nothing else will do? That’s right. Meg Cabot.

One of Meg’s older series is the 1-800-Where-R-You series (which, was actually originally published under the name Jenny Carroll, silly authors and their pseudonyms). It has recently been released as Vanished- which features the first two books in the series in one volume. It has been awhile since I read these books, but I remembered they were fun and light reads, just what I needed to get over my funk.

First things first- don’t let the dorky title of the series fool you. These books are pretty awesome. The first book in the series is "When Lightening Strikes". In the first book, we meet Jess Mastriani, a girl from Indiana who is more likely to get in a fight than to get ask to a dance. Aside from being in constant trouble at school, she is a pretty average teen, until she gets struck by lightning one day on her way home from school. After the lightning strike she suddenly finds herself dreaming about missing people. She sees faces of missing kids on the back of a milk cartoon and in the morning she knows where they are.

I love the book mostly because of the characters. Jess is tough and strong. She deals with her new abilities in a very straightforward way. He best friend Ruth is funny and a little neurotic. Then there is Rob Wilkins. Rob is the perfect bad-boy. He drives a motorcycle. He gets detention (which is where he met Jess). Rob is basically a pretty worthy crush.

This is definitely a series worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanished.