Jenn's Reviews > The Greyfriar

The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith

Sep 19, 2011

bookshelves: steam-punk, supernatural, ya, library
Read from February 05 to 06, 2011

I liked the story and the characters. The story is based about a decade in the future, but the history of mankind is different. Basically, in the late 1800's the vampires rose up from their caves and hidey holes and mounted an attack referred to as The Great Killing. They took over the northern, colder regions of the countries they inhabited forcing humans to the southern, warmer regions. The vampires are brutal and run on instincts. They have no industry, economy or hobbies.

Two of the Human Empires, The United States and Equatoria are getting ready to unite by marriage in an effort to mount a war against the Vampire Empire. To prevent the marriage the Empire has kidnapped the heir to the Equatorian throne, Adele. During the initial attack we meet The Greyfriar, a mythical entity who fights vampires to save humans. The story follows he and Adele throughout her kidnapping and successive rescue attempts.

The story offers a good use of Steam Punk in its airships, gas lighting and clothing. It has an interesting, non-romanticized view of the vampires and how they live. Good character imagery especially in the Senator Clark. He comes off as a total bafoon. It is obviously a Young Adult style book and it reads quickly. The only thing that really annoyed me was that Adele encountered some really stinky stuff yet there was never any mention of her actually taking a bath in the whole book. Not sure why I fixated on that, but I did. Although this is not a 'Great' book, I did really enjoy it and will definitely read the second in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greyfriar.

02/05/2011 page 92