Becky's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, favorites, highly-recommended, horror, 2011, mystery-and-thrillers, reviewed
Read from January 17 to 21, 2011

I've already reviewed this book, and I think it's a pretty good'un, if I do say so myself.

This review is going to be for the audio edition, read by Campbell Scott, and will probably be pretty short. Overall, I loved his reading of this book. I thought that he gave the characters just the right amount of life without taking them over and making them something they weren't.

I LOVED the way that he read Dick Hallorann. He gave him such a lovely tone and Southern quality, a kind of musicality, to his voice that I wished that Hallorann had a bigger part to play in the books. I could listen to that voice all day long.

I also loved the way that he voiced Jack, especially once he started to unravel. I got shivers a couple times listening to it. I think that he did a fantastic job of interpreting Jack and his descent into madness. Jack has always been one of my favorite characters, not only in this book, or in King's work, but of all time. He is so complex and multifaceted and conflicted. I love Jack, so I was very pleased with the way that CS brought him to life through his voice.

My only gripe actually, was with how Wendy sounded in his voice. Campbell Scott is a man with a moderately deep voice, so female voices probably would have sounded very fake had he tried to do them. Luckily, he didn't, but he interpreted Wendy in a kind of low and husky voice that didn't mesh with how I hear her in my head. In CS's voice, Wendy sounded a bit melancholy and way too calm at times. In my head, she has a higher pitched voice, and is quite a bit more anxious and shrill at times. Panicky when things start hitting the fan, but that wasn't how Campbell read her at all.

Not that I'm complaining too much. It would have been far worse to have to listen to a fake shrill voice from a man trying to do a falsetto.

Anyway... I highly recommend this audio, this book. If you haven't read it, you should. There are some scary moments, but the beauty of this book is what lies beneath.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

01/17/2011 page 1
0.0% "Listening at work..."
01/17/2011 page 1
0.0% "Is it weird that I get shivers when I hear the first line "Officious little prick"...? O_o" 1 comment
show 5 hidden updates…

Lesley I enjoyed your review. I just recently started listening to this audiobook, and the narration is well done so far. Yep, Wendy could be a little more shrill, but everyone else seems spot on.

_dropaheart I'm currently reading this, I have yet to try an audio book but I think I might want to give it a shot. I mean... What could I lose right? Haha besides an ear drum.. An ear.... My breath.... My life... My future.. My life... My lunch.. my life... Someone elses life, then my life. lol

Becky Small things...