Chris's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Jan 31, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, harry-potter
Read in July, 2007

Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "chamber of secrets" that is of any human concern, and it is no coincidence that the book of such a title was written by a woman.

By sending her young, immature male character, Harry (whose name, along with Tom and Dick, just happens to be one of the "universal" male names) into the mysterious Chamber, Rowling is exploring her memories of early childhood sexuality. The Chamber is filled not only with mystery, but danger and legend - its very existence is debated, which no doubt refers to the elusive female orgasm.

Ms. Rowling, whose sexual impulses have no doubt been unfulfilled over the years, is attempting to fulfill them by way of her own fiction. She has created a perfect sexual explorer in Harry Potter - a young, innocent and noble young man whose powers have not yet matured. Obviously a male that Rowling would feel comfortable with. This is especially interesting given the actual resident of the Chamber of Secrets - a huge, deadly serpent. And there's only one thing that a huge, terrible serpent can represent.

Rowling's sexual past is the fertile ground in which this book was grown. It is her cathartic attempt to win over the guilty feelings that she's repressed from her former sexual life, the one she regrets more than anything else, by manufacturing a hero. That hero, in Harry Potter, represents the type of man for whom she would "open" her "chamber - pure of heart and noble of intention and, most importantly, under her control. The vanquishing of the serpent-symbol is her victory, leaving her free to explore other aspects of her life, including the eventual resolution of the Electra complex that appears to have been built up around Professor Dumbledore...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

05/22/2016 marked as: read

Lance Loved this review! Didja notice that her hubby really resembles Harry?

Travis This why I am a firm opponent of the idea that books can be interpreted in anyway by the reader. This is idiotic. Not only does it fail on a common sense level, it also requires enormous leaps to make your freudian (which is nonsense anyway) theories match the events of the book.

And you must be really bad at sex if you think the female orgasm is this elusive.

Chris Travis wrote: "This why I am a firm opponent of the idea that books can be interpreted in anyway by the reader. This is idiotic. Not only does it fail on a common sense level, it also requires enormous leaps to..."

Okay - take a deep breath, relax, and re-read the bit in italics at the beginning. Then take a look at the rest of my reviews on this series. Then go to Wikipedia and look up "satire."

Steven This is way too funny for me to be able to yell at you for how little sense you made. =P

Chris Steven wrote: "This is way too funny for me to be able to yell at you for how little sense you made. =P"

Well, that was kind of the idea, so thanks. *smile*

Lavelle this review was awesome.. I will be sharing it with some friends of mine. =]

Sagie Maoz "Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" (p. 333)

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam After reading this review I think I'm going to enjoy reading Chamber of Secrets a hell of a lot more ;-D

Kaitlyn I love Harry Potter, and normally, I would be offended, but it made me laugh so hard, that I can do nothing but commend you.

message 10: by Katrina (new) - added it

Katrina I had to try so hard to not laugh outloud and make my husband think I am crazy when I read this review. The second you mentioned Freud my mind was racing through similar ideas.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Lee Chris: you may have intended this as satire, but many a truth is spoken in jest. I think you hit about several psychosexual truths. I first noticed the sexual symbolism a few years ago when watching the movie the second time, and Harry, Ron, and Gilderoy watched in the girls' bathroom after Harry touched the little snake on the faucet and the sinks opened up to reveal a circular entrance into a tunnel! I don't think JKR intended at first to create such yonic and phallic symbolism, but it's there. Since Harry and company are 12 years old, on the edge of puberty, I don't think this is inappropriate. It's there if you're ready to see it. I'm writing a paper about the sexual symbolism in the climactic scenes of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and I'm including your comments! You're not the only one, either: Google "Chamber of Secrets" with "sexual" or "phallic" and watch what shows up!

Kelly Watson Loved this review! Cannot wait to show the hubby! Thanks for the laugh!

message 13: by Neha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neha Verma On the outside I am offended coz m a true Potter fan. (but secretly m showing it 2 my close friends n making dat rolf smily after posting it:p)

Brooke Sexual? Did I miss something there?
'Cause I don't think so!

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* lol this is one of the most interesting review I have ever read! Definately original

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

This review was... I'm not sure what. It's was definitely brilliant, no doubt! I had never thought about it that way before. Although I am one of those who believe that Harry Potter is perfectly perfect without sex in it so I can't say I agree with your review but it is probably number one on my list of reviews that make me think.

Matthew Smith By far the best review I've read in a long time! Thanks for the great read and good laughs well done!

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Lee Melanie wrote: "Chris: you may have intended this as satire, but many a truth is spoken in jest. I think you hit about several psychosexual truths. I first noticed the sexual symbolism a few years ago when watch..."

BTW, the paper about sexual inferences in HP2 is currently "on the back burner" because the conference for which I intended to write the paper didn't accept my proposal. The idea is still on my mind, though, and I still have my notes.

Julianna My two sides of my mind:
Side one: pfft... Nice ;)
Side two: Have... Have you been reading a series called Twilight lately?

message 20: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Rich I really hope this is just satire. Trying to show the ridiculousness of having a Frued philosophy on life. Otherwise this was ludicrous. The only reason she would "relate" this book to sex is if she was thinking about sex to begin with. But since this a children's book intended to be as such, It would be safe to say that she wasn't relating any of this to twisted sexual mental illness. Also Rowling seems to be a very educated woman, who would write about something more than the primitive thoughts of sex.

Emelie That is the most stupid thing I have ever read! I hope it's a troll.

Purple Elephant Shrew Girl Lol XD Good job, laughing so hard right now.

Jason Christ people, and I obviously don't mean all of you, lighten up a little. Stop taking yourselves so ducking seriously. I've honestly taken about all I can of FEIGNED AND PHONY outrage. Everybody's offended by everything anymore and it's ludicrous. Get over yourselves.

Jason Sorry, obviously meant fucking and not ducking, damn auto-correct.

message 25: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina Leah, this review is not serious. Don't insult Chris just because you missed the fact that it's a joke.

Anika and Sofia S. You really cant love a series more!!!!!! !

Rachel harry potter is twelve years old.

Rachel so i'm obviously very sleepy and didn't notice the top paragraph explaining that this review was a joke - good job fooling me! also i can't figure out how to edit or delete comments on mobile. i need a coffee.

message 29: by Levon (new)

Levon EVHS Gevorgyan WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?

People acrually think like that?!

Thank you for lowering my regard for certain members of my species.

David ROFL