Chris's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Feb 09, 08

bookshelves: classics
Read in January, 2008

Why did no one tell me about this book? I mean seriously, I was about a hundred pages in and I wanted to go find my freshman high school English teacher and inflict terrible, intricate revenge on her for depriving me of a great book. I figured first I could assume a new identity, perhaps insinuating myself into her life. I'd make her trust me and put all her faith in me, and then I would UTTERLY CRUSH HER!!! MWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Seriously, this was an awesome book. I am not a big fan of the Classics, really - I usually get very bored very quickly with them, especially the Russians. I don't know if it's the characters I can't relate to, or the writing that puts me off, but I try to get through them and my interest drops off abruptly. Especially the Russians. God save me from the Russians.

But this? This was 1200 pages of concentrated awesome. A grand, intricate story of vengeance - and I do love my revenge stories - that I will definitely read again. And watching V For Vendetta is a lot more fun....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becky I'm currently reading this (and enjoying it just as much as you did!) and every time I visit the page I have to read your review.

It makes my day every time.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Chris Becky wrote: "I'm currently reading this (and enjoying it just as much as you did!) and every time I visit the page I have to read your review.

It makes my day every time.

Just thought I'd share. :)"

Thank you! That certainly means a lot. *smile*

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am totally with you on that Chris; I too wonder why this was never on the reading list at school??

Where are the television people; this book should be a mini series!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Where are the television people; this book should be a mini series!

Falco_rules Well, Chris, I don't intend to dis your fine review, but you can hardly expect your teacher to advocate a French novel in a course about English literature.

Chris Falco_rules wrote: "Well, Chris, I don't intend to dis your fine review, but you can hardly expect your teacher to advocate a French novel in a course about English literature."

Good point, good point. But high school English probably has less strict concern about such dithering little points such as what language the book may or may not have been written in.... *grin*

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful Isn't it great? My husband turned me on to it. We're both dying to see the old movie version that doesn't seem to have made it to DVD yet.

seton By far my favorite Dumas pere. The Robert Donat version is good but I prefer the Guy Pearce version. Mostly because I always want Ronald Coleman in any role that Donat is in (except for Goodbye Mr Chips).

message 9: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali I'm currently reading this book for my english class. I find myself wanting to read it start to finnish, but I know i have to pace myself so i don't spoil the book for the others in my class.

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara This book isn't on reading lists for highschools most likely due to it being a classic. It's true that it would go over many people's heads and pretty much be wasted time and would probably cause a revolt amongst teens. Some things are just too complex for the average teenager. I myself love it and am very grateful to my cousin for recommending it.

message 11: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali ...I'm in highschool.

Courtney I did read this in high school and have loved it ever since, unabridged, of course.

Maroosh Qazi I think there is a french mini series starring Gerard Depardieu. Although I think Guy Pierce suits the charming nature of the count and the fact that in the book it is indicated that count looks young for his age, Gerard seems a bit too old. However I love the storyline of the french version as opposed to the 2002 movie which i thought just ruined the image of the book. I mean seriously, why would you make albert count's son and indicate that count and mercedes slept together. that just ruins the purity of their relationship.

message 14: by H (new) - added it

H There's actually a Spanish film version if you're interested.

Dianna most 9th graders would die before they read a novel this long.

Cmjustic Yeah, I actually teach 9th grade and last week one of my kids asked if France was a real country or not. It's gonna be a long semester.

message 17: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Hello everyone...please never watch a movie version of this book and think it actually follows the book. Well here goes...I teach literature to 8th graders. Normally I would never suggest this for its grade level of even above, however I teach literature differently than most teachers. I never assign reading; I do all of the reading aloud in class. I can guide them into seeing all of the intrigues, themes, inferences, foreshadowing, and everything this most fabulous classic has to offer. Otherwise most wouldn't get it and would hate it. They were so into it that they begged me to read to them during comp class , too. We read the last page and other was dead silence. Then one student spoke up and said, "Now what do we do?" " Now" should be italicized. I did use the Bantam abridged, the only abridged that follows the unabridged faithfully. They will all, without a doubt read the unabridged. I will say that if a teacher loves a book, he or she can guide students to love it, but read to them! I practically perform a book. Yes, it took us about 8 weeks, but who cares? Teaching literature is not about how many books you can read in a year. I do step down a notch after a heavy one. This year we read Watership Down as an opener. I could guarantee that most would have trashed that after a few pages and read Spark Notes. They loved it! Please forgive me; I don't mean to present myself as better than any other teacher. It is the method of teaching this book that I hope you teachers will try. Disclaimer: this probably has typos...and incorrect use of ellipses. Oh, well.

message 18: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Yep, typos. "This grade level" "or even above" "there was dead silence" Sorry; I am typing on my Kindle and there doesn't seem to be a way to easily go back over the whole thing.