Chris's Reviews > 銀河ヒッチハイク・ガイド

銀河ヒッチハイク・ガイド by ダグラス・アダムス

Feb 16, 08

bookshelves: humor, science-fiction, japanese
Read in April, 2007

Yes, you read that right. Ginga HichihaikuGaido.

I'm reading it in Japanese. The way I figured it was this - I've read the books more times than I can count, I've listened to the radio shows and seen the TV show and the movie. I know it damn near by heart, so I reasoned thusly: knowing the source material that well should aid me in understanding the Japanese translation. And I was right, to some extent. For a good portion of the book I was able to glean the meaning of the passage from the small amount that I could actually read. In other sections, I realized that a lot of what I thought I knew about the story was more from the TV show and the radio show than from the actual text.

Still and all, I finished it, which is an achievement in and of itself. And I even took notes on my favorite lines....

「今日は木曜日だったよな。木曜日はいつもろくなことがないんだ。」 - This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
「先にお断りしておきますが、わたしはとても気が滅入っています。」 - I think you ought to know, I'm feeling very depressed.
「革命が起きたら真っ先に銃殺される脳たりんの集団。」 - A bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the Revolution comes.
「人生。わたしに人生を語らないでください。」 - Life. Don't talk to me about life.

I can imagine that those phrases may be able to come in handy.... *grin*

So, I'm studying. Go me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 銀河ヒッチハイク・ガイド.