Rebekah's Reviews > Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul

Captivating by John Eldredge

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011, devotional
Read from January 17 to 24, 2011

I liked the second half of this book way better then the first- had I not resisted abandoning this book I never would have finished it. The second half did speak to me but not as much as I would have liked. I doubt I will ever read another book by these authors.

My thoughts so far:

There is a reason Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite fairy tale... Because Beauty doesn't twidle her thumbs waiting for a prince to come to her rescue she fights for him (novel thought). Ruth didn't wait for a man to become her "kinsman redeemer" she went to the thrashing floor and laid at Boaz's feet- she reminded him of his duty. - I do not think it fair to claim that all women just want to be rescued.

Her own examples disprove the point she's trying to make... Ever After... Yes Henry makes Danielle a princess but she constently challenges him and frankly saves herself (and him on occasion). Danielle makes Henry into a man (not merely a prince). I do like Robert Alter's redefinition of help meet- "sustainer beside him".

Five chapters in and I am finally getting to the heart of the matter. After devoting 5 chapters to why women long for beuaty (I sware that I - like many of the women I know- am a way more complicated person then this book would have me believe) we finally get to the how. The book has become a little more interesting for me now.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivating.

01/19/2011 page 128