Lauraadriana's Reviews > Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray by Brooke McKinley

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: angsty, bss-group-read, favorites, re-read
Read from January 20 to 23, 2011, read count: 5

So after my fifth read I felt I should write a review that does this book (or how much I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!) justice. To start I'll say, that yes this book is not perfect, there are things that are far fetched, some are unlikely for the premise of the book, but I don't care! I LOVE IT! I come back to it time after time, because Danny and Miller are just such special characters to me. This book was an early M/M read, and it has not lost its charm one bit. It can still make me smile, cry and curl my toes and leave me DESPERATELY in love with the main characters.

Danny Butler is a man whose poor life choices have finally caught up with him, and the reckoning is coming from the hand of Special Agent Miller Sutton. Danny has lead a hard life of crime, prison time, yet he can still open himself to love without reservations, and with a guilessnes and wonder that is just beautiful. His character just steals my heart. Every. Single. Time.

Miller is a man who has built a life on lies, mostly to himself about his desires, who he is, what he wants. And those lies they can't hold up anymore, because in the presence of Danny. He can literally do nothing but fall.

This book has a simple plot for all its FBI Agent/Criminal Saga premise, because what it is, its about love, how to let it take you, how to keep it, how to earn it and how to give it. Danny and Miller together are intense and amazing. Danny holds NOTHING back, he is there, all of him, and Miller, he's just in awe that something so beautiful can be possible with another person.

This book is so special to me, What is it about Danny and Miller that just draws me back? Why do I love this book so much?...I think Danny's words say it best...

Danny stroked his hair, his lips warm against Miller's cheek. "Because it's us, Miller," he whispered. "Because it's us."
It REALLY IS them.

It probably won't be too long before I'm back reading about Danny and Miller and listeting to their song on a loop the whole time...SIGHS. I LOVE THIS BOOK. Still one of my all time favorite endings.

RECOMMEND!!!

33 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Gray.

Quotes Lauraadriana Liked

“Why," he panted into Danny's neck, "why's it so goddamn good?" He was surprised at how full his voice sounded, so close to overflowing its steady banks.
Danny stroked his hair, his lips warm against Miller's cheek. "Because it's us, Miller," he whispered. "Because it's us.”
Brooke McKinley, Shades of Gray

06/02/2011
15.0% "Yep, Danny's just as good the second time around..."
06/02/2011
75.0% "In love with these two men...again!"
11/15/2011
0.0% "Today Danny and Miller are just the thing..." 10 comments
11/15/2011
10.0% "I love this book!" 11 comments
11/16/2011
25.0% "Reading SLOOWWWLY and listening to Danny's Song on a loop, yep these boys still make me SMILE!"
show 3 hidden updates…

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) I have this on my phone! Now I want to find time to read it!

Lauraadriana Laddie wrote: "I have this on my phone! Now I want to find time to read it!"

Read it so we can chat babe!! It's SOOO GOOD! I rarely have enough attention to read a book twice and I liked it even more this time :O)

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions really? i am worried about rereading it. i loved it the first time but parts were so rough not sure i want to go through that again

Lauraadriana Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "really? i am worried about rereading it. i loved it the first time but parts were so rough not sure i want to go through that again"

Oh I really loved reading it again, I was less emotional and really got to enjoy Danny...and I LOVE HIM...I loved this book before, but I had forgotten how much I loved the ending...That Danny...Yummies!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yeah i remember Danny well but only remember the bad stuff about the cop :(

Lauraadriana Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "yeah i remember Danny well but only remember the bad stuff about the cop :("

I have almost no patience for re-reads but this one really was just as good the second time :O) Still working on my shrine babe *winks*

~♥*Marianna*♥~ You're right about their HEA. It was really well written. It gave their story realism. Props to the author!

Lauraadriana ~♥*Marianna*♥~ wrote: "You're right about their HEA. It was really well written. It gave their story realism. Props to the author!"

message 10: by R.B. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.B. Lauraadriana wrote: "~Oh yeah this book is awesome, I've read it like three times this year. I wish this author had more books.

I wish it too.

Cayce I loved Shades of Gray too, but fifth?! Wow. You really love this book, don't you? :)

Lauraadriana Cayce wrote: "I loved Shades of Gray too, but fifth?! Wow. You really love this book, don't you? :)"

OMG Love it! It's my comfort read :O) And I HAVE to listen top Dogs Days are Over while reading!

message 13: by T.farm (new)

T.farm Just bought this book today because of your review!

Lauraadriana Hope you like it! Was thinking of reading it today!

message 15: by Nila (new) - added it

Nila who can resist a book with a review like yours? It's on the list for sure now.

Lauraadriana Nila wrote: "who can resist a book with a review like yours? It's on the list for sure now."

Hey Nila! I've been seeing you liking all the Josh Lanyon books! He's a hard habit to quit!!

Also Shades of Gray has an audiobook! I know you like those :) Hope you like it!

message 17: by Nila (new) - added it

Nila So good to know you're with me on my new adventure. I was just downloading the Shades of Grey audiobook when you found me.
Sometime maybe you'll clue me in a bit about Josh Lanyon and how he develops relationships. I may be missing his point when I get irritable at the MC and their one step forward-two steps back wooing. (That's crazy-making when it's 3-4 years before the next book in the series comes out, I gotta say.)

Lauraadriana Nila wrote: "So good to know you're with me on my new adventure. I was just downloading the Shades of Grey audiobook when you found me.
Sometime maybe you'll clue me in a bit about Josh Lanyon and how he devel..."

LOL I think you have to have a bit of a massochist to be able to really LOVE Josh's books but he writes so beautifully. I must say Adrien and Jake are two of my all time most favorites ever!

Have you tried the Psyco Series by Jordan Castillo Price? Those are good stuff too!

message 19: by Nila (new) - added it

Nila Yes! Definitely reading the Psycho's. I've finished two and am still bewildered. What attracts these guys to each other? I love that they are so deep in love, but I sure wish I'd find someone who got off on my craziness. If you read current m-f romance you'll understand why I'm so delighted with these m-m guys. They are hot, loving, mind-blowing and so wtf!
Loving my time with these books, though. The feelings are so much more intense and the connections, though puzzling sometimes, just make me melt.

message 20: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Your review is fabulous. Off to start reading about Miller and Danny. Thanks!!

Lauraadriana Lee wrote: "Your review is fabulous. Off to start reading about Miller and Danny. Thanks!!"

Hope you enjoy it! One of my MOST favorites!

Makhda Great review!
Actually I already have this. But I'm pending on it. Because it looks like so angsty. But after reading your review, I see how much you adore that two guys, I'm gonna give it a try again.. ;)

message 23: by An (new) - rated it 5 stars

An does the romance story and the sexual tension is good?

Lauraadriana There's definitely a lot of tension. It's a favorite of mine so I think the romance is great!