Mark's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 23, 14

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 20 to 23, 2014 — I own a copy

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. There are so many interesting characters in this book that I want to know more about. Unfortunately this is also the book's biggest weakness. We spend the first NINE HUNDRED pages swapping between he viewpoints of five interesting characters. I could handle that, but combine it with randomly inserted flashback chapters from several of those characters viewpoints and it feels like there's nothing holding the story together. When you finally make it past that 900 pages mark, some of the characters start to meet; while others are involved in very, very interesting reveals of information. Unfortunately with only 107 pages left, there's not enough pages left to really give a full payoff for all the scenes you've read through to get to this point.

Or maybe I'm just a tad upset that he book ended so soon; with so many more things I want to know and the author is brilliantly leaving me wanting more. *shrug* What I can say is I enjoyed it and I will be picking up he sequel whenever it is published.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

01/28 page 857