Erin's Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Jan 31, 11

Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

If this is historical fiction, I dig it.

This is the first time I've read Jennifer Donnelly, so I cannot compare to her previous work. Having said that, I very much enjoyed this book. I have very little time to read, so the fact that I read 470 pages in just a handful of days means I was in the zone and had trouble putting it down.

The basic storyline weaves the present Andi with the past (French Revolution) Alex. Throw in some genetics and a ton of musical references both common and obscure, a lot of serious personal struggles to overcome, and vivid, unapologetic descriptions of 18th century Paris, and you get a beautifully woven tale as gripping as it is heartbreaking.

The story is artfully composed, with an intentionally angsty, rushed beginning, only semi-lucid, drawn-own (but never dull or dragged-out) middle, and an only-somewhat-tidy ending... but still altogether satisfying.

I feel like I tripped into the book, or like in Inception: starting a dream in the middle of a scene, then woke up oh-so-slowly.

I want to read the book again, taking notes on the music this time!

(I will say this: I guessed half the "twist" in the story very early on, but it in no way detracted from my pleasure in reading the book. The author was kind enough to save some surprises for the end :))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.