Amanda's Reviews > The History of Love

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

Jan 20, 12

Read from January 16 to 27, 2011

I truly read this book to see if it lived up to the title, for I believe love does have a history.I have no idea how to explain the story. Alma was Leo Gursky's life, and he never stopped thinking about her, and thinking about his son, and thinking about every little thing that happened. He lost contact with the girl he loved; and on her death bed he didn't tell her the way he felt.
I feel like love can never be explained with just words, but this book is made out of more than just love, there is deep sadness, and this longing, and this feeling of trying to make everything work out. Love is a cliche word for those who see it as one. But it isn't when you feel it, and when you are like Leo you never let it ever go, even when it won't give the same feelings back.

I loved this part:
"I like to imagine the first time she leaned in to kiss that stranger, how she must have felt herself falling for him, or perhaps simply away from her lonelines, and it's like some tiny nothing that sets off a natural disaster halfway across the world, only this was the opposite of disaster, how by accident she saved me with that thoughtless act of grace, and she never knew, and how that, too, is part of the history of love."

Now if your alive, tap 2 times for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Nicole Krauss
“At the end, all that's left of you are your possessions. Perhaps that's why I've never been able to throw anything away. Perhaps that's why I hoarded the world: with the hope that when I died, the sum total of my things would suggest a life larger than the one I lived.”

Nicole Krauss
“When I got older I decided I wanted to be a real writer. I tried to write about real things. I wanted to describe the world, because to live in an undescribed world was too lonely.”

Nicole Krauss
“15. WHENEVER I WENT OUT TO PLAY, MY MOTHER WANTED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WAS GOING TO BE

When I'd come in, she'd call me into her bedroom, take me in her arms, and cover me with kisses. She'd stroke my hair and say, 'I love you so much,' and when I sneezed she'd say, 'Bless you, you know how much I love you, don't you?' and when I got up for a tissue she'd say, 'Let me get that for you I love you so much,' and when I looked for a pen to do my homework she'd say, 'Use mine, anything for you,' and when I had an itch on my leg she'd say, 'Is this the spot, let me hug you,' and when I said I was going up to my room she'd call after me, 'What can I do for you I love you so much,' and I always wanted to say, but never said: Love me less.”
tags: love

Nicole Krauss
“All the times I have suddenly realized that my parents are dead, even now, it still surprises me, to exist in the world while that which made me has ceased to exist.”

Nicole Krauss
“What about you? Are you happiest and saddest right now that you've ever been?" "Of course I am." "Why?" "Because nothing makes me happier and nothing makes me sadder than you.”

Nicole Krauss
“I try to make a point of being seen. Sometimes when I'm out, I'll buy a juice even when I'm not thirsty. If the store is crowded I'll even go so far as dropping change all over the floor, nickels and dimes skidding in every direction. All I want is not to die on a day I went unseen.”

01/16/2011 page 46