Pat's Reviews > The Kreutzer Sonata

The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy

M_50x66
Jan 16, 11

Read in January, 2011

The narrator of this story tells us about a conversation he has with a man on a train who introduces himself as the infamous man who has been in all of the papers for murdering his wife. He proceeds to explain to the narrator why he committed the murder and how the very nature of love and sexual attraction between men and women inevitably leads to heartbreak and anger.

It was easy to empathize, if not exactly sympathize, with the murderer and his wife, and there were many facets of their relationship that I feel are true of every male/ female relationship. Tolstoy does an excellent job of telling us just how messed up our relationships are by using this character and the extreme nature of the way his marriage ended. Every note of Tolstoy's Sonata struck a chord with me as the reader and the book left me reexamining the very nature of my beliefs about love and marriage. While I don't necessarily agree with the murderer's beliefs, it did make me reconsider some things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kreutzer Sonata.