stephanie's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011, contemporaryfiction, prize-winners, psychological-fiction
Read from January 16 to 24, 2011

so. i think the three star 'it's okay' thing that goodreads has is exactly how i feel about this.

i don't think i liked the five year old POV. i liked jack, i think. i hated that i still don't know what the mother's name is. i mean, he has heard it, so why can't we know it? stupid book and stupid filtering for narrative whatever.

what i did think was interesting was the "after" the part. in a way, i thought it was very much like an autistic child entering the world, but then it didn't play out quite the same, i thought there was a lot of potential but it stopped short and.

basically i was disappointed. it wasn't bad, it wasn't good. i don't know what to think of the Ma, i hated the whole thing with breast-feeding and how easily it ended and how it was like this big taboo and then the author has "ma" say it herself, "out of this whole story, that is what you find shocking?" and i hated that because it was true and i felt myself feeling that way and it's just all.

i don't know. i think A Curious Incident of Dog in the Night was about ten times better and came out first.

this is why i'm glad the world has libraries. because i got it out from there, and i didn't have to pay for it. and this works well for my new plan of only buying books i pre-order, and then deciding to add to my library upon reading them. perfect for a chronic re-reader like me!

so, it's a pretty easy read, and it's getting a lot of fuss, so if you want to stay up with the current fads in fiction, it won't take too long. but really? i think it was overrated.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

01/16/2011 "if i ever get my brain back, that is." 1 comment
01/24/2011
100.0% "hmmm. i don't know exactly what to say about this. and that's not bad or good. just . . . weird."

Sarah I can't wait to read this, but I don't really like hardcover so I've preordered the paperback.