Christine's Reviews > At First Sight

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks

Jan 16, 11

Read in January, 2011

I had a hard time with this book. The whole time I was reading I thought it was stupid and lacked chemistry between the main characters - which is obviously crucial in a love story. There were some realistic moments where it was obvious the author had experienced real relationships in his life and wasn't just basing an entire book on imagined fantasy relationships, but for the most part the motivations and actions of the characters felt thin and weak. Perhaps with more time and space he could have created the chemistry a story like this needed, but it was a pretty short book with little room to create the depth of character a character driven story needs.

There was one part where the main male character gets in a fight with his best friend that I just felt was completely forced and the outcome was borderline silly. Without giving too much away, I'll just say Sparks should definitely stay out of the mystery genre.

The twist at the end was the only thing that gave this book a second star for me. It wasn't the kind of ending I typically like in a book, but this book needed SOMETHING to keep it from being a total waste of time and at least the ending grabbed my attention back.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At First Sight.