Rachel's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: to-re-read, favorites
Read from November 01 to 02, 2011

Posted in august: This cover is absolutely breathtaking! I know not to judge by the cover but, really, how can anything with such a stunning picture on the front not be amazing? truly gorgeous

Review:
Well I was right. With a cover that great this book had to be amazing. And whatever i was expecting, this was 100X more amazing. This is arguable the best book I have read all year. There is a lot of mystery surrounding this book. There was no real plot summary given before the book was released, I wasn't even sure of the exact genre when I picked it up. But that really just added to the craziness of this story.

To break it down for you, while keeping the mystery intact, here is a bit of a deeper summary. Mara Dyer has just moved to Florida from Rhode Island. She hates Florida. But there is nothing for her in RI anymore, all her friends are dead. She doesn't remember how it happened, but she knows that something is not right. How was it that she is the only one who survived the building collapse? Mara thinks she is going crazy. A kind of crazy that goes beyond the PTSD. Mara thinks she is broken. Everyday is a struggle to avoid hallucinations and shy away from mirrors which may hold more than her own reflection. This is Mara's life, until she meets Noah Shaw. Ruggedly handsome, permanently disheveled, English accented, Noah Shaw. Despite his man-whore reputation Mara finds herself trusting and enjoying his company more and more. In fact Mara is falling hard. But it is hard to have a healthy relationship when you think you are certifiable.

I loved this book. Characters are always the most important component of a story in my opinion. And Mara did not disappoint. Mara Dyer herself is a puzzle. And I was truly riveted by her thoughts. She is a captivating protagonist. Noah of course is a dream boy. let me explain my thought process of Noah: If Noah Shaw and Jace Wayland (City of Bones sex god) were to have a sexiness competition ... well the jury is still out on the winner but it would be a close race. And then there is Daniel. Perfect, dorky, lovable, over achiever older brother Daniel. Think Justin Russo from Wizards of Waverly Place but slightly less awkward and abnormal. Oh and not a wizard :P I pretty much love all of Mara's family.
Next comes the plot its self. Well I have to give Hodkin credit, she has really kept the contents of this book under wraps. In fact we still don't really know what is going on. And I finally understand why all the secrets. The mystery adds so much to the contents of the story.
The language of this book was lyrical. I loved the abstract and unconventional vocabulary (probably comes with having a British character) And the words really just flowed off the page. I loved reading this book. I was addicted. truly Addicted.
Please Please PLease read this book! Its mind blowing.

For more of my reviews including special features such as personal playlists, check out my blog! Click Here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“What would you do if I kissed you right now?"
I stared at his beautiful face and his beautiful mouth and I wanted nothing more than to taste it. "I would kiss you back.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you."
My tongue warred with my mind. "Today," I whispered.
Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You could start a fire with the heat between you two."
"You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Have you kissed many boys before?" he asked quietly.
His question brought my mind back into focus. I raised an eyebrow. "Boys? That's an assumption."
Noah laughed, the sound low and husky. "Girls, then?"
"No."
"Not many girls? Or not many boys?"
"Neither," I said. Let him make of that what he would.
"How many?"
"Why—"
"I am taking away that word. You are no longer allowed to use it. How many?"
My cheeks flushed, but my voice was steady as I answered. "One."
At this, Noah leaned in impossibly closer, the slender muscles in his forearm flexing as he bent his elbow to bring himself nearer to me, almost touching. I was heady with the proximity of him and grew legitimately concerned that my heart might explode. Maybe Noah wasn't asking. Maybe I didn't mind. I closed my eyes and felt Noah's five o' clock graze my jaw, and the faintest whisper of his lips at my ear.
"He was doing it wrong.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Is there any point asking what you're going to make me do on Sunday?"
"Not really."
Okay. "Is there any point asking what you're going to do to me?"
He grinned wickedly. "Not really."
Fabulous. "Does it involve the use of a safe word?"
"That will depend entirely on you." Noah moved impossibly closer, just inches away. A few freckles disappeared into the scruff on his jaw. "I'll be gentle," Noah added. My breath caught in my throat as he looked at me from beneath those lashes, ruining me.
I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're evil."
In response, Noah smiled, and raised his finger to gently tap the tip of my nose. "And you're mine," he said, then walked away.”

Michelle Hodkin
“In my rush, I hadn’t tied my shoelaces. Noah was now tying them for me.
He looked up at me through his dark fringe of lashes and smiled. The expression on his face melted me completely. I knew I had the goofiest grin plastered on my lips, and didn’t care.
“There,” he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. “Now you won’t fall.”
Too late.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I hate you," I muttered.
Noah smiled wider. "I know.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're distracting,' I said truthfully.
'I won't be. I promise,' Noah said. 'I'll get some crayons and draw quitely. Alone. In a corner.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You smell good," he whispered into my neck. He was warm against me. Instinctively, I arched back into him and smiled.
"Really?"
"Mmm-hmm. Delicious. Like bacon.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Did I just see you litter?'
'I'm driving a hybrid. It cancels out.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.”

Michelle Hodkin
“What could I say? Noah, despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I'd like to rip off your clothes and have your babies.”

Michelle Hodkin
“No, it isn't irrelevant. You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're the girl who called me an asshole the first time we spoke. The girl who tried to pay for lunch even after you learned I have more money than God. You're the girl who risked her ass to save a dying dog, who makes my chest ache whether you're wearing green silk or ripped jeans. You're the girl that I--" Noah stopped, then took a step closer to me. "You are my girl.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Let me guess. A certain unkempt bastard with a panty-dropping smile?”

Michelle Hodkin
“Noah shifted on the bed, and the oddest crunching sound came underneath him. I looked, really looked, at the bed for the first time.

"What," I asked slowly, as I eyed the animal crackers strewn all over it, "the hell?"

"You were convinced they were your pets," Noah said, not even trying to suppress his laughter. "You wouldn't let me touch them.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Asscrown," I muttered under my breath as I headed to my next class. I wasn't proud of swearing at a complete stranger, no. but he started it.

Noah matched my pace. "Don't you mean 'assclown'?" He looked amused.

"No," I said, louder this time. "I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses," I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity.

"I guess you nailed me then.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You told me I smelled - like bacon."
"Well," he said evenly. "That's awkward.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Rubbish. The Taj Mahal is only a hundred eighty-six square feet. This house has twenty-five thousand."
I stared at him blankly.
"I was kidding," he said.
I stared at him blankly.
"All right, I wasn't kidding. Let's go, shall we.?"
"After you, my liege.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Wait," I said as Noah slipped a book from a shelf and headed toward the door. "Where are you going?"
"To read?"
But I don't want you to.
"But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents?" I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.
"So why are you going to read when I'm right here?”

11/01/2011 page 36
11/02/2011 page 336
74.0% "I am completely and hopelessly, addicted, raptured and in love."
07/23/2012 page 42
9.0% "re-reading cause I just can't keep away :)"