Lisa's Reviews > Comfort & Joy

Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah

Jan 16, 11

I know several Kristin Hannah fans. They tell me how good she is at writing about relationships. Perhaps, but I didn't find out reading Comfort & Joy because it definitely didn't pass my 50 page rule. There were so many implausible things that happened in the first few chapters, I knew I wouldn't find any joy in reading the rest of the book.

About the whole plane crash thing... Joy describes in great detail what's happening during the crash--the horrible sounds, being thrashed about in the cabin and hitting her head, the smoke, etc. After she gets out of the burning plane, she is completely dazed and confused not to mention banged up, bleeding, and soaking wet. This is in the wilderness, mind you, and she just walks away from it. Literally. In the chaos of all the fire fighting and rescuing, she decides to get up and go on her way--even though she must be in shock and has no idea where she is or how to reach civilization. I don't know about you, but if I ever survive a plane crash, I'm going to take advantage of an ambulance ride into town. Not only does Joy make it out of the wreckage alive, she emerges with her camera around her neck. No purse and only one shoe doesn't stop her from forging on. When she just happens to come to The Comfort Inn, the proprietor's son checks her in without her putting down any sort of deposit...and lo and behold, there's a bag headed for charity in her room's closet that has clothes just her size.

I do not find it impossible to suspend disbelief, but this was just too much for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort & Joy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen You need to finish it. About page 150, all these unbelievable details will make sense... It's a long time to just keep hanging on, but it's worth it...

Janelle Ditto what Jen said. I was initially turned off by this book at first and Im a huge KH fan. I'm glad I stuck with it, it made sense finally about 2/3 of the way through.'

Stacy Christian I think you should finish reading too. I really enjoyed it. It all comes together the more you read.

message 4: by Wg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wg I felt the same way and almost abandoned but was glad I didn't. It will make sense, keep reading.

Jennifer Ditto