Amanda's Reviews > I Found This Funny: My Favorite Pieces of Humor and Some That May Not Be Funny At All

I Found This Funny by Judd Apatow

Jan 16, 2011

Read in January, 2011

I'm always unsure how to rate short story collections. Should I rate it on how many of the short stories I liked? Or how cohesive I found the collection? I liked most of the stories/poems/plays in this collection, though I can't say all were funny. Some, like Tony Hoagland's poetry or Nora Ephron's contribution, made me laugh out loud. Ernest Hemingway caused my lip to curl. One selection that I found particularly meaningful was Jonathan Franzen's excerpt, a meditation/memory of Charles Schulz's works. Being a huge Peanuts fan myself, I loved his philosophical take, as well as the acknowledgment that the truth of the Peanuts gang's sadness and trials were what made those paneled moments so funny. Some stories I liked, but did not find funny. I think that there are some true gems in this collection, which is the reason for my 4 stars. It's definitely worth your time to be exposed to some of these works that you would ordinarily never have come across. And what do I know? Perhaps you will find James Agee or Dave Eggers more interesting than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Found This Funny.