Ariana's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Mar 20, 2015

bookshelves: arc-galley-or-author, angels, favorites, sweet-romance, series, beloved, by-color-blue
Read from November 09 to 15, 2011

Oh boy, what a ride.

Reading this book felt like flying with the wings wide open (not that I know how does that feel, but I can only imagine): I’ve been falling in love again with these characters, I’ve gasped at every surprise, I’ve smiled and I’ve even cried, I’ve felt Clara’s insecurities and frustrations, and her need to be happy, to find her purpose and make it all right again, also her need to find her own path, to make her own decisions. How much of it is just purpose and how much of it is her own life?

This book is really amazing, for me it was better than the first one, and I enjoyed every single bit of it – the dreams, the purposes, the teenage drama, the family involvement, the friendships, the decisions and all those emotions radiating from my kindle like heatwaves from hot pavement.. it was all so beautiful I can barely describe it. It was a mix of happy moments and dramatic turnarounds, and more background for the angel theory that not only answered so many questions I had at the end of the first book, but it had also raised so many more, and now I definitely can’t wait for the next book to come out and answer them all.

SO, our redhead angel is back – well not so red anymore (not so carrots-alike) but with the same amount of sarcasm, curiosity and passion in all that she does (even the mistakes she makes). And also our boys are back to make Clara’s life a bit more complicated (not that it was simple to begin with).

I bet you all want(ed) to know more about Clara’s parents, and some things that you didn’t really get about the night with the fire, I bet you all want(ed) to know how Clara’s life will change now that she has a human boyfriend (Tucker) and she knows more about the boy from her dream (Christian), and if you are like me you want(ed) to know more about her brother as well (I always had this feeling that there is more to him that meets the eye, and as far as I’ve seen there is even more) ..
So yes, you will get some answers – some of them will surprise you, some of them won’t, but for every answer you get another question pops into your mind, so don’t worry too much if you get a bid angsty at some point.

This is what I liked about this book – it makes you think .. I never think about angels, I don’t believe in them so I’m usually not interested, but this story caught my attention, and I like how this world is described, and I want to know more about it, and it all feels like a puzzle – there are all these pieces I already have, but there are so many more to uncover.

For example, finding about her mother’s story only made me think about Clara’s (let’s call it) ‘destiny‘; finding about her Dad, only made me think about the Tucker/Christian situation.
At the end I felt like I knew her destination in all this mess, and no matter what Clara will decide I think that she’ll get there, just like her mother did, but still, will she?

The most important item in the story is (again) Clara’s vision, a dream brought to her from the future, and this dream is the key to so many secrets that will make you happy, but will also make you cry. It will change the course of things, it will make Clara stronger in a way, it will prepare you for what’s next to come, because we are only at the beginning, and the best is yet to come.

Now, there is something that i should mention that bothered me a bit (again!!).
Get this people: Secrets are supposed to be secret by definition!
It goes both ways:
- when you keep a secret for so long, you don’t go afterwards telling everyone about it;
- when someone (for example your parents) tells you that there’s something you must NOT tell anyone, you just keep it for yourself (this is not about trusting someone with your secret, this is about being able to keep one);

All in one this is a great, amazing, wonderful book. There are so many things I would like to tell you, but I’m trying hard to keep this review spoiler-free. Enjoy it!

Book Source: ARC from the publisher via NetGalley. (thank you!)

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com

One more thing.. but this is only for the people that have already read the book:
(view spoiler)

Later Edit: Check My Book Boyfriend - Tucker

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

11/09/2011
12.0% ""I'm having an argument with myself. And I'm losing. So not a good sign." :))" 3 comments
11/09/2011
22.0% "This is getting really interesting..In a 'oh boy' kind of way ;))"
11/14/2011
48.0% "This is gooooood :D"
11/15/2011
100.0% "Wow... Wow... I am currently speechless, I loved it that much :)" 3 comments
10/25/2016 marked as: read

Wendy Darling I really like the last paragraph in your spoiler. :) Great review, Ari!

Ariana Thanks.. I really loved this one. Where's the third one? I want it now :)))

Wendy Darling No kidding!

A.M Bells I'm with you on the whole secret thing. This is a secret Clara, it's dangerous. Clara - Tell ALL the people! :))

Ariana Yeah, it was the same with the first book. But I am glad that there were many other things too enjoy, so I could easily get past this tiny little problem ;))

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I freaking love Christian and Tucker. I want them!

Ariana I think I liked Tucker better, the relationship with Christian started on the left foot for me, but they were both great guys and they cared a lot for Clara :)

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I can't choose between them, Tucker was kind of the left foot for me. Just barely...well umm, both were. Ugh, I'm confusing myself. :D

Ariana To be honest I didn't want either of them for Clara. I wished so much for a 3rd option, LOL!
Tucker was a human and things were complicated at this point in the story, Christian was not interested at all in Clara until the the ending of book one and then there was just too much interest for it to feel believable (at least for me).
But you will see in book 3 how things go with the trio.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I already saw! The 3rd book broke my heart. But it was still beautiful. I think your're going to like it. ;)

Ariana I did... Read it and liked it.
I am a bit sad that it is all over now :(

Ronyell Awesome review Ariana!!! Love the Tucker image!!!

Ariana Thank you! I did a bit of research to find someone that matched the image of him that I had on my mind ;))

Ronyell Ariana wrote: "Thank you! I did a bit of research to find someone that matched the image of him that I had on my mind ;))"

Yeah! Sometimes it's hard to find the right image for your dream guy, but if you look hard enough, you can find the right image! :D