Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: ya, 2011-ya-debut, arc, bea11, oct11, mythology, read-in-2011, favorites
Read from August 28 to 30, 2011

Half-Blood is easily one of my favorite books of the year. I picked it up and had the hardest time putting it back down. Jennifer L. Armentrout nails Alex’s snappy, refreshing, and attitude-infused voice, making this main character one that I adored. There’s nothing about Alex that I didn’t like. She’s fun, witty, has a number of issues with authority, but she’s also this teenage girl who loves her friend(s), misses her mother, and has a growing attraction to someone she shouldn’t.

And we all can’t help but be intrigued by forbidden love, right?

Well Aiden is certainly forbidden. But he’s also deliciously magnetic. He’s not a bad boy, by any stretch, which is fantastic. Aiden’s genuinely a good guy. A little standoffish, sure, but sexy and tough, and intellectual. As a reader, intelligent guys are a huge draw. Caleb, Alex’s best friend is also a good addition to the book. He helps round Alex out and softens her edges.

Then there’s the entire mythological aspect. It’s freaking awesome. Armentrout approaches this half-blood/pure-blood scenario from a new angle and doesn’t focus strictly on the politics or the hierarchy of it. Instead, the story slips in this unseen side door and slaps the reader with a slew of complications: 1. Dead mom. 2. Alex’s life is definitely not what she expected it to be. 3. Seth.

Keep in mind that Half-Blood is by no means a love triangle. Alex is the focus and the tinges of romance are delectable, but do not drive the story. If anything, the romantic mishaps and ooh-la-la feelings add layers to an already well-developed and thought out story. Half-Blood will knock you off your feet with how easily it draws you in and refuses to let you go. Thank goodness Pure, book 2 in the Covenant series, will be out this coming April.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.