April's Reviews > The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose

The Clayborne Brides by Julie Garwood

Jan 16, 11

Read in January, 2011

I think I've been grading Julie Garwood's books a little high based on nostalgia alone, but as I've been re-reading her, there are aspects to her writing that I'm beginning to find a little dated and tiresome, things I guess I never really noticed or cared about before when I was much younger and a little less picky about what I read. In the case of this book, it was even more noticeable because it's a collection of three stories in the same series, and though each story features a different set of heroes and heroines, the stereotypes and tropes used are pretty much the same.

The heroines, however independent, smart, and resourceful they may be, are always some kind of damsels in distress. They're always somehow in deep trouble, and the heroes have to play a huge part in saving them because whatever kind of trouble the heroines are in, the heroes always seem to know better, have more common sense and wile, and most definitely have the brute strength needed.

The villains are always caricatures of pure malice with dastardly designs on the heroines, and the only thing standing between them and the heroine's virtue is the hero.

I suppose even that wouldn't be so bad, but the way Garwood writes a character's train of thought, it's very distinctive, and because it's always done the same way, with the same voice and the same patter, no matter who the hero or heroine is, it gives this awful sameness to the characters so that after a while, you feel like you've already read the story before, even if you hadn't.

So I'm giving this set of stories two stars, for an OK. I still like reading Garwood, but three of her stories in a row might just be a little too much.

Finished reading January 3, 2011.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clayborne Brides.