Graham's Reviews > Sharpe's Battle

Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: 19th-century, historical, napoleonic-war
Read on December 01, 2008, read count: 1

Yet another excellent entry in the Sharpe series, which just seems to get better and better the more I read. This one starts off in the thick of it, in familiar territory: Sharpe and his boys are patrolling the Portuguese frontier where Sharpe finds and makes a new, hulking enemy: Brigadier Loup, one of the most unpleasant larger-than-life villains of the series so far!

What follows is an enthralling read, packed with treachery, betrayal and more surprises and plot twists than you can shake a stick at. There are two fantastic action set-pieces that provide riveting thrills and spills: the first involves a siege in a crumbling fort. The culmination of this bit is a real outlandish surprise. Then, of course, we have the climax, a running battle in an uphill village where there’s slaughter work in the streets and the blood flows freely – this climax is among the best in Cornwell’s canon, a real top-notch way to end the story.

Elsewhere we’ve got Harper as strong and solid as ever, some unusual supporting characters in Runciman and Kiely, a filthy traitor, and best of all, Sharpe going through some real strife. Great stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharpe's Battle.