Amy's Reviews > The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

Feb 20, 2008

bookshelves: my-favorites
Read in February, 2008

I have to say that I am quite fond of Kate DiCamillo's writing, and Maggie and I very much enjoyed reading this book together. Oh, but it was exquisitely and simultaneously joyful and sad. Maggie even asked me later last night, after we had finished the book and she was getting ready to brush her teeth, "Why do people write about sad things, Mom?" Ah - innocence slips away in small parcels. Then again, when I read her The Velveteen Rabbit, B actually came running into the room to find out what was the matter because she was so distraught. This equally touching story of a china rabbit is affecting. There is a wonderfully taught fairy tale in the midst of the story, and DiCamillo does not hesitate to leave sadness hanging in the air, strings untied, mean circumstances uncured, and yet somehow comes around to a happy ending.

We all hope for the happy ending, but I am more encouraged by one that is imperfect because it is ultimately more believable. It is very readable, and the illustrations are quite nice. It moves quickly, and at Maggie's age it is exciting when you pass page 100 or 150 because it feels like a great novelty. However, if you do not have access to an interested and astute little one to read this to, there is charm to be found in it for everyone. I had to hold back tears when I was reading the last few chapters...and that almost never happens to me. So, either this will tug at your heart strings, or I am just turning into an old fuddy duddy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

(C) Archer at KIPP I agree with you. This book made me cried, especially when the little girl died. She was so sweet and nice. Edward loved her a lot, to the point of wanting to die with her.

message 2: by Lizminder (new)

Lizminder Ah geez, spoilers may have been removed from your very fine review, but not from the comments!

Doris Jean Me, too, Amy. Never dreamed I would cry from a kid's book. I give it 5 stars, too.