Kyle's Reviews > The End of Marking Time

The End of Marking Time by C.J. West

Jan 16, 11

Read in January, 2011

Is there ever a time when it is right to do wrong? How do we determine if a person learned from their mistakes, and how many chances do we give a person? The End of Marking Time explores these questions as the story of Michael O'Connor unfolds.

Without giving away the ending, I thought the premise of the entire story was a bit unbelievable especially when it comes to crime and punishment. There is a saying about the "the punishment fitting the crime", and I think this is crucial to understanding our current justice system. In addition to that maxim, we have laws regarding the protection of property and life. I cannot set up a death trap in my home to catch a prowler because life is more important than property. I can however defend myself if I feel my life is threatened by a prowler. The distinction between these two scenarios is that one is the proactive taking of a life (i.e., the death trap to catch a prowler) versus the reactive taking of a life (i.e., defending yourself). It seems these ideas get thrown out the window in the place where Michael O'Connor lives.

Although I found the justice system a bit unbelievable, I thought the story was true to the idea. It definitely hooked me in, and the ending was a real stunner. I finished the book two nights ago, but I've lingered over the message and the ending since then.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Marking Time.