Theresa Milstein's Reviews > The Hating Game

The Hating Game by Talli Roland

4019647
Jan 22, 11

Read in November, 2010

"`IF I GET PNEUMONIA, HE'S GOING to pay,' Mattie Johns muttered as she gripped the chains of the dunk- tank swing and looked down into the murky water."

The first scene already had me laughing so I was hooked. The story unfolds seamlessly. When I began the book, it was a busy time for me but I made time to read. I finished it in four days.

At first I found Mattie unlikeable. But even in the beginning, I could detect her vulnerability within her uncompromising exterior. This is a woman who wants to be in control, so it's interesting to see how she grows as her life becomes more and more out of her control.

Every character has depth in this story, which is a feat because there are quite a few important characters. Too many books have a friend who is little more than a sidekick, only existing to provide humor. I liked the best friend and learned much about the main character through her. The ex/love interest isn't too domineering or too wimpy. I found myself rooting for him early on, even when Mattie seemed to have good reasons to stay away.

The premise is clever. Reality TV with all the behind the scenes backstabbing exists in spades. I had a hard time putting the book down, wondering what would happen next. No predictability here.

This book is appealing to read and would make a great film. I could see the movie version clearly - probably because much of the time the reality television show is filming. And if this becomes a movie, I will definitely see it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hating Game.