Jorge Garcia's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Jan 28, 11

Eh. After riding the Steampunk wave back when it was cool (nobody knew about it), I had fallen out of the culture and writing and saw that a female author was getting acclaim for a Steampunk book. I had never heard of a female author trying to tackle this genre and I was intrigued by the prospect of what she could do. Cherie Priest's effort goes relatively unappreciated. Unfortunately I simply couldn't get into the style of her writing. Though she does have a good sense of exposition, I feel that there could have been so much more in the way of voice and language and she was sticking too much to what makes a fool-proof book that could sell well and straying far too much from what makes a great book that could really knock the reader back. The story is charming and even though Steampunk got beaten like a dead horse before it could really pick up steam (ha. ha.) it died out. Jay Lake's Mainspring is a great example of what one could do with the genre if used with the correct language. The barrier in this book was too strong for me and though I pushed myself to read through it, it was an altogether uninteresting and hurried journey. I have faith in Priest because her concepts are grand and entertaining. Her craftsmanship is what needs a bit of work. This book did teach me one thing, though... Steampunk is pretty dead.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.